B&S Starts, dies

scootabs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone,

Im new on here because I have a model number 12AVB26M011 B&S that starts just fine but wont stay running longer than a few seconds. I have taken the decorative/protective plastic cover off such that when I start it I can reach down and place a finger on some sort of black plastic linkage arm to keep the mower running. Forgive me but I dont know the proper term for this piece. I do know that if I dont hold this from moving too far the engine will die. I had this same mower into a warranty repair shop for the exact same problem at the end of last year. They fixed it and it ran successfully for two to three mows last fall. This spring, the problem is back. I would apprectiate any help and will repost with frustrations and joy all the same. Thanks

russcrisp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a mower here that exhibited same symptom, but it would run a little longer.. Started on first pull, and would run for about 15 min, then die.. Couldn't restart until it was cool..

I pulled the bowl off the carb, and looked around in there.. There was gunk in there, so I cleaned the carb good, and reassembled, and it fixed it..

Good luck with that one..

Russ

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hate to say this but by the way you posted your problem I think you will have to take it back to the shop. I know that you will not understand the direction that I would be giving.

scootabs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses so far. Rivets, would you mind posting some direction anyhow? I think I could work thru them and probably learn a few things along the way. Not to mention someone else could surely benefit from the tips. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Haven't time this morning, but I will see if I get some time this evening. Want to check my online sources for some short tips, so I don't get long winded.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, let's try the easy fix first. If you don't understand the step, stop and let me know. I will reword it. 1. Remove the air cleaner cover and air cleaner. 2. Carefully remove the air cleaner back. Three small screws, 5/16 socket and watch out that you don't break the gasket on the back. If you do you'll need to buy replacement. 3. Now you will see the carb. Clamp off the fuel line lightly with a vise grip. The bottom of the carb is the float bowl. You will use a 1/2" socket or wrench to remove the bolt on the bottom. If you can do so without breaking the bowl seal great, but not a must. this bolt is also the main jet. You will see three holes, one on each side and one down the middle. These must each be very clean and open. I use carb cleaner for this job. Now let's reassemble in reverse order. If you break the gasket or the float bowl seal please get new replacement parts. Some people say you can reuse, I don't. After you assemble give it a try, but remove the vise grip first. GO SLOW, SLOW, SLOW PATIENCE!!!

scootabs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm pretty sure I can get thru these steps. I will give it a shot tonight and let ya know what happens. Thanks again.

scootabs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've cleaned the carb jet as per instructions and haven't produced any positive results yet. The engine still starts fine but won't stay running for longer than a few seconds. I can keep it running if I reach down and quickly grab the governor linkage but as soon as I let go the engine goes into shut down mode. Any further instructions would be great. Thank you in advance.

scootabs

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE: I have since drained all the gas that was in the gas tank which had gas from last season in it. I partially refilled the gas tank with fresh gas and also added about 2-4 ounces of Lucas fuel injector cleaner to the tank. It started a few times with the same unsatisfactory results but then I grabbed the governor control arm and held it in place for about about a minute while the engine spewed white smoke from the exhaust. After a minute or so I let go of the arm and the engine seems to be in good working condition now. I even mowed some tall wet grass and it seems fine so far. Thursday will be dry as far as weather is concerned so we will see what happens then. Thanks again, Rivets.