Spark plug tester

cjdave

Threads
Can someone tell me the defrence between A spark plug tester (inline) and a DC shunt? I have seen a pic of a homemade DC shunt can anyone tell me how to build one? Thanks David

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can someone tell me the defrence between A spark plug tester (inline) and a DC shunt? I have seen a pic of a homemade DC shunt can anyone tell me how to build one? Thanks David

A spark tester is for checking spark from the coil.
A dc shunt is used for checking charging systems from alternators.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Have no idea what a DC shund is but a spark plug tester is cheap from any auto parts store. Myself I have two kinds. One is a in line tester with a light bulb in it and the other looks like a spark plug with a clamp on the side of it. They both work good for me.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
A dc shunt is basically a amperage draw tester.
You use it with a mutimeter to check the dc amperage output of an alternator system to determine if the battery is charging. Amps charge a battery not volts.
You can also use it to check the amperage draw of a starter motor when bench testing.
A spark tester is used instead of holding the plug against the engine as it loads the coil to full capacity and also shows if the plug breaksdown under compression in the engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have no idea what a DC shund is but a spark plug tester is cheap from any auto parts store. Myself I have two kinds. One is a in line tester with a light bulb in it and the other looks like a spark plug with a clamp on the side of it. They both work good for me.

The inline tester with the bulb can give false positive if the plug is shorted, and will show a spark when none occured.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here are images of the two types of spark testers, inline and clip type.

Attachments

• Spark-plug-testerllte.jpg
    Spark-plug-testerllte.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 10
  • sptesterplug.jpg
    sptesterplug.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 9

cjdave

Threads
Yes, mine is an inline but if I understand it right that the DC shunt is better if this is true? I have attached a pic of a homemade tester but I need someone to help tell me how to build it and how to use it :confused2:
Thanks,
David
(hope the pic comes through)

Attachments

• dc shunt.pdf
    46.9 KB · Views: 14