Briggs Twin Cylinder L-Head

unclelar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs twin cylinder L-Head that I can't get any gas to the carb. It is a four bolt fuel pump on front of carb. Have put a new carb kit, fuel pump kit, new fuel pump, new gas line, cleaned gas tank, checked comp and both cylinders are the same compression. Any ideas.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Filter pointing the right way - flow

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check the pulse line from the engine to the pump. May be broken, loose or cracked. Have you removed the fuel line going to the carb and turned the engine over to see if the pump is actually putting out fuel?

unclelar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulse line has been changed and new one installed, fitting is open to crankcase, no fuel line from pump to carb. as the pump is a 4 bolt pump attached to front of carb and flow into carb bowl is internal.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me that the pump is not working right. Would you try two things if possible. Can you squirt gas into the air horn and see if the engine will run. What we are checking is engine only first. If it runs we'll go to step two. Unhook inlet fuel line to the pump. I want you to set up a short gravity feed system to the pump with a small funnel and piece of fuel line. (will need two people). Put some fuel in the funnel and try to start the engine. The fuel should empty from the funnel and fill the carb. When there is enough in the carb I would hope the engine will start. What we are doing here is priming the pump to see if it is working. If no fuel leaves the funnel we will have to take a closer look at the pump. If fuel leaves the carb, but no start, then we will have to take a closer look at the carb. If the engine starts (I hope) let it run as long as you feel comfortable to make sure the pump and carb are working on a gravity feed system. Then hook up the tank fuel line and see if it will now run properly. Good luck. If things don't work please post exactly which test failed and how you did it. Sorry this is so long, but I'm back in my teaching mode and I don't know how to explain it any other way on paper.

unclelar

Forum Newbie
Threads
checked today with a funnel and hose to the carb and no luck. Gas did not go into carb. Checked the valves and the gap was all tight. Removed all valves and cleaned regapped valves and installed new head gaskets. Have not tryed since.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Float needle valve is stuck. You will have to check that first.

unclelar

Forum Newbie
Threads
float and needle standing wide open. Have have top of carb off to see if it would pump but no luck.