Briggs & Stratton Mower 917.272352 Won't start under own power.

mjavant

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton Mower 917.272352 Won't start under own power.
I have a 15.5hp Craftsman mower with a briggs motor. I've searched for days and tried many things but nothing seems to work. The motor will only starting being jumped off by a car and starts nearly immediately upon doing so, and not on its own power.Here is where i am at now

-Battery was weak, replaced 1 day ago
-Had similar turn over issues of needing valve adjustment, so i did that today, now at .004 as per factory settings.
-I bridged the solenoid with a screwdriver and the motor turned about 2 inches, then tried tapping the solenoid with a rubber handle and tried again so no luck. The solenoid does click when trying to start under its own power.
-The starter is indeed engaging the flywheel just isn't turning hard, and it seems its hitting a hard spot to turn, it will spin well for 3/4 a turn then hit that hard spot and need some help with my hand.
-Pulled sparkplug and motor turns perfectly.

I don't what to check next, i am going to go get a battery for my voltmeter and start checking voltages at the battery, the solenoid and starter. Any help in the meantime will be greatly appreciated.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure all your electical connections to the battery, solonoid, starter to engine and ground are good, tight and clean. Take a wire brush to them and make sure they are getting good contact. This should fix your hard start.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 15.5hp Craftsman mower with a briggs motor. I've searched for days and tried many things but nothing seems to work. The motor will only starting being jumped off by a car and starts nearly immediately upon doing so, and not on its own power.Here is where i am at now

-Battery was weak, replaced 1 day ago
-Had similar turn over issues of needing valve adjustment, so i did that today, now at .004 as per factory settings.
-I bridged the solenoid with a screwdriver and the motor turned about 2 inches, then tried tapping the solenoid with a rubber handle and tried again so no luck. The solenoid does click when trying to start under its own power.
-The starter is indeed engaging the flywheel just isn't turning hard, and it seems its hitting a hard spot to turn, it will spin well for 3/4 a turn then hit that hard spot and need some help with my hand.
-Pulled sparkplug and motor turns perfectly.

I don't what to check next, i am going to go get a battery for my voltmeter and start checking voltages at the battery, the solenoid and starter. Any help in the meantime will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like bad valve clearance.
What is the model type and code?
Could be a model 31 and clearances is inlet .003 - .005 and exhaust .005 - .007 1/4 past TDC on power stroke.
Also could be decompressor not working causing engine to stop on compression stroke as not realeasing excess pressure from engine when starting.

mjavant

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, i've checked the voltages and have 11.5v at the battery (a little weak because i've been trying to crank it. and roughly 11.35v at the started solenoid on the battery side. When i try to start it i only geta max of 5v on the solenoid side going to the starter, so i take it the solenoid is bad??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would replace that solenoid. Causing a high voltage drawn. Before doing so, check all connections as posted before.