Blade adapter removal / Blade changing questions

Threads
Hi guys.

two questions:

I am trying to remove the muffler from the bottom of my 1980 Lawn-Boy 7268. The Damn Blade adapter is stuck on!!! How can I remove it???

I soaked it for a bit with some PB Blaster stuff, and was banging around on it with a hammer. I also tried to pry it off using a channel lock, but I was afraid of denting in the muffler prying to hard against it. I also tried using a torch for a little bit, but was afraid I would wreck something, like some plastic in there somewhere, since I don't know what it looks like inside. Anyone have any tips? This didn't seem to help:

Also I am trying to sharpen the blade. I discovered a hole in the blade. See the picture. Is it usable, or junk? Can you still buy these?

Also, is the side of the blade supposed to be sharp also, or just the curved part? Mine is super dull and didn't appear to ever be sharpened. See pic.

5675d1335296446-blade-adapter-removal-blade-changing-questions-hole-jpg

5674d1335296446-blade-adapter-removal-blade-changing-questions-blade-jpg

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 84
  • hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 84

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This blade is junk and a safety hazard. Replace immediately. A trick I use to remove suck or rusted parts is one my grandfather taught me to many years ago. I take a 50/50 mixture of kerosene and antifreeze and soak the problem. A soaked rag wrapped around your shaft should work. (careful around animals and it may take a day or two) After soaking clamp a vise grip on the shaft and block it to keep it from turning and then hit the adapter with a hammer like you are turning it off. Some of these are really bad and you may have to replace the adapter. Good luck.

Threads
I got it off...... But now I need a new adapter... :thumbdown:

I had to get a gear puller and torque the heck out of it. It's bent every which way now. I don't think it was ever removed. Under the muffler, there was an 1/8 carbon layer over everything. I roasted the muffler on the grill, hopefully burns some carbon out.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got it off...... But now I need a new adapter... :thumbdown:

I had to get a gear puller and torque the heck out of it. It's bent every which way now. I don't think it was ever removed. Under the muffler, there was an 1/8 carbon layer over everything. I roasted the muffler on the grill, hopefully burns some carbon out.

:laughing: That never would have occurred to me. :laughing:

Fireman 123

Threads
You can find the adapter on eBay.