Rope Won't Pull Out All The Way

maxcalvada

Threads
Recently I accidentally pulled out the whole thing and had to rewind the coils and put everything back together. After playing around, I can now pull the rope out(and it automatically springs back in) - but only about 3/4 of the way. Thus, not enough pull to start the mower.

What should I do? Would spraying some WD40 help?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is almost never any reason to spray WD40 on anything...
There is a proper sequence for rewinding the rope & spring on an engine...
What make engine is this? Tell us about it and I'll bet I can find a video that will step you through it... :smile:KennyV

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
My rope snapped in my craftsman and I did the sane thing LOL mine starts but I need to remove it again and rewind it

maxcalvada

Threads
It's a Briggs and Stratton 550 series --- per SPE J1940
158cc

maxcalvada

Threads
Hi,

Thanks for the link to the video. I watched it - although not everything he was doing as far as winding the cord seemed to jive with my mower. I still can't get the rope to pull and then spring back all the way - maybe about 90% now.

I can't start the engine - and I could before I mess up the cord/coil. Could this be causing it?

Should I rub some transmission fluid on the rope and coil area, as you suggested?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello .. been gone out of state for a while...
not getting back to what's going on here... :ashamed:

Don't lube the rope, if you look at a few youtube clips, you should find one exactly like the one you have...
if the spring is not pulling the rope in all the way, give the spring an extra initial winding wrap before placing the rope on the spool...
If you don't have enough rope wound on the spool, it will be difficult to pull the engine fast enough to get it started easily... :smile:KennyV