Black and Decker CMM1000 started smoking

LoseStumpy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled out my CMM1000 Type 4 for the first mow of the year. After a quick test turn on I went to the edge of the lawn, it failed to start, and then smoke started pouring out :mad:. Once it cleared and I no longer thought it was going to self-ignite I opened the top and found a coil of black wire nearly melted. From some diagrams this appears to be some sort of brake wire.

B&D does not appear to have a replacement for this part (is it just a wire?). If this fails, is the wire the actual cause of the failure, or is it something else? While looking for a replacement part I found there's an electrical-fire-related recall on this mower...is this the sort of thing that B&D will fix under that recall?

LoseStumpy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like they were recalled in 2002 for turning on when the safety key was removed. I don't see any other recalls though. If they won't service yours then take a look here:
Black and Decker CMM1000 Parts List and Diagram - Type 4 : eReplacementParts.com

Plug the part number of the part you need into eBay and find a replacement.

They had an earlier recall:
Black & Decker Parts and Services | Safety Notices and Recalls

On that parts diagram #89 points to the nylon zip tie around the wire bundle, but the actual bundle is not in the parts list.

natenkiki2004

Threads
This is #83:
part_90551109.gif

Does that include the part you need?

LoseStumpy

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is #83:
Does that include the part you need?

No. That's a whole rebuild kit - why would I spend $180 on that if the problem is a $2 relay or something?

Anyone experienced with the CMM1000 electronics able to comment?