Tecumseh Motor losing oil?

guitfiddler

Threads
I recently went through the motor and changed out all the gaskets, I had to put oil in 2 times today to do my lawn . There is no visible leakage around the motor or the plug and there is no smoke coming from the motor. Other than a slight stall while mowing the motor was running good. Motor oil capacity is 21 oz I put in about a total of 15oz today and the stick is barely showing any now.

Mower is Toro 22" GTS Model 20016 with the Tecumseh LEV 80-120 engine about 9-10

Here is a link to some issues I was having last month - not sure if this is related?

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/7455-probably-missed-something-simple-i-hope.html

Thanks

- Rich

redfish9

Threads
Check your air filter and carb to see if its real oily there

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What does the plug look like. If it is oily, you're burning it. If it is dry. check the lower end crankshaft seal. May be bad and leaking.

guitfiddler

Threads
Looks like I am burning it - there is oil on the plug - I would not have guessed that since I saw no smoke coming from the motor. Everything else looks good. Now the question is what is causing it and how to fix it - piston rings??

Thanks

- Rich

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to ask this, but need to know two things before I try to tell you what to do. First, please send the serial number of the mower. Second, on a scale of 1-10 how mechanical adept are you. I don't mean to be critical, but this will help me give you correct info and explain things.

guitfiddler

Threads
Hey Rivets, thanks for the quick reply. Here is the motor info - it does not list a serial number though and I could not locate any other identification:

IMAG1061.jpg

As far as being mechanical adept - I would say 7-8 thanks to youtube and forums like this. :smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, here is the numbers you will need for future reference. Model # LEV120.
Spec # 361560B. If you feel comfortable I suggest that you remove the head to see what's going on in the cylinder. We won't buy any parts yet. Because I am not here every night you will have to decide if you want to lay up the mower for a while or even get to the point where you want to stop. You will have to decide how to proceed.

guitfiddler

Threads
I tore this thing down last month and replaced all the gaskets - about the only thing I did not do was remove the piston or valves. You actually helped with that one to. What should I be looking for when I get the head off?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What I would like you to check are whether the valves are closing all the way and the amount of play in the piston. With the head off and the piston at 1/4" past TDC, can you turn the valves and can you move the piston side to side. We are looking to see if the valves are fully closing and the amount of wear on the rings. Also, look to see if there are any scratch marks on the cylinder wall.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot, if you are careful you might be able to save the head gasket.