2 cycle vs 4 cycle string trimmer

which string trimmer do you own

• Total voters

drmax

Threads
Post what you got, how long you've had it and the maintenance performed.

drmax

Threads
Re: 2 cycle vs 4 cycle, straight/curved string trimmer

I've had the troybuilt 4 cycle for nearly 10 yrs....straight shaft and is still humming along. Despite what I've read in reviews, it's been great! It is wearing out a bit and starting my "painful" search for another. Wanting to get opinions here. 4 cycle has been easy to use and plenty enough power for my bi-weekly 2 acre lot.

Last edited:

talley2191

Threads
2 cycle Shindaiwa that I got from a buddy in 2004 a he was getting a new one. He used it commercially and I have used it weekly for 10-15 minutes a time since. Fuel is the only maintenance lol. I have not even changed a spark plug. Prime it 6 times pull twice while the choke is on, turn the choke off and pull once and she fires up. Been starting her like that for 8 years. Love it!!!

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Can't add too much, I had a Ryobi 2 stroke I liked that was basically fuel, plug every other year, clean the air filter every year. I forget what happened to it, but I bought another Ryobi and I don't like it, NO air filter and the carb cover flies off if you hit the choke lever a little too hard. Somewhere on here is a post about single bearing (think the old Cox .049 model airplane engines) and two bearing engines. Apparently if the starter is on the shaft side of the engine it's likely a single bearing. As I've said before, I old enough to spend a little more for what I really want and given my local dealer that is excellent, I'll likely buy a Stihl or Echo, whichever feels better (they sell both).

rajon

Threads
I have a Shindaiwa M242. 23.9cc 2-stroke. I have had it about a month, ~3 hours on the engine. I run 50:1 Husquvarna 2 stroke oil mixed with premium and the thing blows me away every time. I have a half acre corner lot with steep, deep ditches so I do a fair amount of trimming once a week. Nothing near the commercial capability of the Shindaiwa but I am in no way unhappy with it.

Mini Motors

Threads
I've had a Troybilt 4 cycle for 5 or 6 years. I've changed the oil and spark plug regularly, and adjusted the valves a couple times. Runs great.

Threads
I have the Echo 2-cycle string-trimmer. I got it a few months ago, and I use it commercially. Love it!! No maintenance needed so far!

MBTRAC

Threads
2 Strokes only - 1x Shindawia angle shaft c.20yrs old, 5x Stihls commercial straight shaft c.1-8yrs old, 3x Cheap Chinese straight shafts 1-3yrs old - all running fine, original plugs, no rebuilds & normal maintenance only cleaning air filters, lubricating shaft/bearings..etc..

All run on 50:1 Husqvarna or Motul 2 stroke oil & 98 RON unleaded (i.e. no ethanol)

Why 2 stroke only ? Better power to weight, simpler/cheaper to maintain or if required to rebuild & more critically constant lubrication at the acute/various angles trimmers/brushcutters are used.

Last edited:

Parkmower

Threads
2cyl only way to go with trimmers.
I've got a weedeter featherlite thaty mom bought and then gave to me when I bought my first place. It's goin on 20 years old. Cleaned carb and new fuel lines a few years ago.
Also have a hoffco jp140c straight shaft. It's about 15 years old. Only cleaned carb.
At work we run Stihl fs 55's and love them. I recommend this trimmer to everyone after seeing the abuse these take and keep going.
Always run out of fuel at end of season.