2 cycle vs 4 cycle string trimmer

which string trimmer do you own

• Total voters

bjc

Threads
I have a Husqvaurna 28ld and love it. I preffer 2 cycle by, but then again I have never used a 4 stroke:laughing:

Steve K

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda 4 stroke. I have it five years, changed the oil (Walmart synthetic) and put more line on. No signs of wear, I use it about 2 hours a week. I think this thing will outlast me and I'm only 52. The only draw back is that it is heavy, but the carry strap solves that. I see all of the landscapers in our area using either Hondas or Stihls.

bjc

Threads
Is it loud?

bjc

Threads
Are they :cool:more expensive?

bjc

Threads
Is the string hard to change:cool:

Popeye

Threads
Generally a 4stroke is more $$$ than a 2stroke.
Difficulty in changing string depends on the head you have on the trimmer. Some are easier to change than others. I have speedfeed heads on mine.
My Shindaiwa trimmers a T230 and a T231 finally gave up the ghost after 20 years on one and 15 on the other. Both were used heavily trimming grass,brush and small trees. They both had carb work done on them after the ethanol levels were raised. I attribute that to the gas not the trimmers.
If possible stay away from big box stores for your purchase find a good dealer and buy from them and get the best one you can afford. It will pay off in the long run. Better to buy a good one than replacements every couple of years or so. My current trimmer is a Stihl FS90. If Echo hadn't bought out Shindy I would have bought another one. Current Shindy's aren't as good as the older ones.
My .02

bjc

Threads
I think Echo is a residential-pro so that is why their products aren't top notch, but Husqvarna is just as much and is way better:biggrin:

macsplinter

Threads
Re: 2 cycle vs 4 cycle, straight/curved string trimmer

I've had the troybuilt 4 cycle for nearly 10 yrs....straight shaft and is still humming along. Despite what I've read in reviews, it's been great! It is wearing out a bit and starting my "painful" search for another. Wanting to get opinions here. 4 cycle has been easy to use and plenty enough power for my bi-weekly 2 acre lot.

I have a troybuilt also that is about ten years old and has taken a beating. I have three yards I mow each year and all I have had to replace is the knob on the bottom of the spool a couple of times and change the oil once a year and clean the air filter. Been a good one.:cool:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: 2 cycle vs 4 cycle, straight/curved string trimmer

I run the Stihl 90R and 110 R Trimmers, 4 mix units. Both units are run commercial 6 days a week. Been running both units for a little better than 4 years, change the Spark plugs one time in each and the air filters at the start of each year. Never had any problems with either. Also run the Stihl 4 mix blowers and edgers and the same maintenance on them and never had any problems. The 4 mix units give you the best of both the 2 stroke and 4 stoke with all the power and torque you'll ever want or need without the added weight.