Repairs Scag Turf Tiger misfiring/cutting off while mowing

chessman7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 Scag Turf Tiger that just recently began misfiring/cutting off while mowing. It seems to only do this while the blade is engaged. Anyone have any ideas what could or most likely is the problem? Thank you!

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Start following the wires for starts - might find a vibration caused bad connection .

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A few things to look at:
Check all plugin connectors particularly the engine harness adapter connector as all battery power comes thru it. Just had to clean all the connectors on my 2008 Tiger Cub to include the connectors on the PTO switch and key switch. Disconnect the battery positive before doing so. Check the battery cable connections both on the battery and start solenoid. Check the battery ground cable where it connects to the engine ground and machine frame.
Does the engine crank over and start OK?
Charging system voltage with engine at half or more throttle should be 13.8-14.3 VDC at the battery.
Last spark plug change?
Possible carb cleaning needed. I use Sea Foam fuel additive, works great.
There is a Scag specific section on this forum, scroll down.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing:

chessman7

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a lot. Yes it starts up ok but after I run it about 5 minutes it starts to cut off. How do you clean the carb? Thanks again, Paul.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sea Foam is a product name and there is Sea Foam fuel additive that has been on the market for a while. It works great as a quick cleanup in carbs and fuel systems. My local Walmart, and several autoparts stores sell it. Sea Foam also packages other additives so be careful when you go looking for it and make sure it is fuel additive.
Add the amount to the gas tanks that will be on the strong side initially, run the machine and if it is a fuel/carb problem you may see it clear up fairly quickly.
I just did a google search for Sea Foam and the additive is called Motor Treatment.
I mentioned electrical system problems as there is a fuel shutoff solenoid in the carb that needs battery power to keep it open while the engine is running, sometimes they can be problematic. This solenoid also can get crud on it as it is in the fuel/carb system and cause running problems. But give the Sea Foam Motor Treatment a try first and then go from there if necessary.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

chessman7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag Turf Tiger misfiring/cutting off while mowing
I finally figured out that what was causing my mower to misfire/die was the seat switch was causing it. Thanks a lot for everyone who replied to my post. Paul in Louisville, KY.

J&L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, There
My lawn mower blow a fuse while is runing and or engaged the pto, wires from fuse get to hot.

monkfarm

Threads
Sea Foam is a product name and there is Sea Foam fuel additive that has been on the market for a while. It works great as a quick cleanup in carbs and fuel systems. My local Walmart, and several autoparts stores sell it. Sea Foam also packages other additives so be careful when you go looking for it and make sure it is fuel additive.
Add the amount to the gas tanks that will be on the strong side initially, run the machine and if it is a fuel/carb problem you may see it clear up fairly quickly.
I just did a google search for Sea Foam and the additive is called Motor Treatment.
I mentioned electrical system problems as there is a fuel shutoff solenoid in the carb that needs battery power to keep it open while the engine is running, sometimes they can be problematic. This solenoid also can get crud on it as it is in the fuel/carb system and cause running problems. But give the Sea Foam Motor Treatment a try first and then go from there if necessary.
Mad Mackie in CT[/QUOTe