Mower deck mpwer deck disengages when i start moving

yocarp

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is strange - when i'm sitting still and lower the mower deck it engages and cuts the grass. About 10 seconds after I release the clutch and start moving the deck disengages and the blades stop turning. I have a fairly new belt on the deck - the variable speed belt looks like it might be starting to wear out. Could a worn variable speed belt be causing this ? It just started happening today when I went out to mow. The mower is a MTD yard machine - about 10 years old. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on what the problem might be. Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I gave some suggestions at your other post.

yocarp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: mower deck disengages when i start moving

yes, you mentioned it might be the deck tension spring, but that's not the problem - the deck tension spring is fine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oil in the belt could be a problem. something else I have seen a couple of times is for some reason the engine pulley for the deck will open up allowing the belt to bottom out in the pulley causing slippage. Look and see if the bottom part of the V is shiny indicating that the belt is at the bottom of the groove.

yocarp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I finally figured it out - and it was the last thing I expected so I'm posting the solution:
In looking thru the owners manual I noticed something about adjusting the speed control. I looked and that was already set properly so I took the deck off, started up the tractor, put it in gear and now the thing wouldn't move! It's easier to see the drive belt with the deck off and I looked and lo and behold the drive belt had come off the front pulley which is just under the engine. There are 3 small metal pieces that bend down from the frame to help keep the belt on the pulley and the belt had slipped outside of one of them and I couldn't get the belt to slide back inside of it. I started pushing and pulling on the belt and the engine shifted! I know that's not supposed to happen so I looked and 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the engine onto the frame (they're below the engine and under the frame) had come out and the 4th was loose. I ran to Lowe's bought 3 bolts and washers, put the belt in place, put all 4 bolts in and tightened them, put the deck back on and everything worked fine. It wound up costing me just $1.37... Lot cheaper than taking it to the shop or buying a new mower!