Carburetor Leaking Into Air Cleaner

Mac1963

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a 1987 Toro Self propelled mower. Model # 20624 (suzuki engine, mikuni carb.)
Just rebuilt the carb, put all back together, and the carb is leaking gas out of the vent tube, as well as leaking gas into the air cleaner. i am almost certain the problem lies with the float. carburetor is positively clean, and the kit came with a new float needle which i replaced. The float, in my opinion does not seem to move freely enough to function as intended. Gas is literally pouring out of the float tube.
Can anyone help? I hate to send this mower to the landfill. Thanks, Mac.

Last edited:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
If you take it apart again - see if the float will really float in a cup of gas .... Maybe it is filling with gas and sinking over filling the fuel bowl ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF
You are definitely having float problems...
Here is a parts breakdown for your mower... I see it could have one of 2 different carbs... they use different needles... are you sure you have the correct needle??
Parts and Diagrams for Toro Consumer 20624, Lawnmower, 1987 (SN 7000001-7999999)
If you look inside of the float bowel you can determine what one you have...

If everything indicates you were in fact given the correct parts... look closely at the needle seat, it may have a nick or something stuck in it... post back with what you find... :smile:KennyV

BobbyR

Threads
Is it possible that you may have bent the little tab on the float when taking it out or putting it back in, causing the adjustment to change? If the float is adjusted too high, it could cause a flooding problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the best engine Toro every put on a mower. When you solve the problem, following the suggestions posted, your engine should outlast the alloy deck. Don't forget to check the tank and fuel lines for debris that may be causing your needle to not proper seat.

Mac1963

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Kenny,
I did order the correct re-build kit. I double checked the needle, and even went as far as putting the old needle back in. Same problem. In referring to the needle seat: Is that a pressed in "grommet"
That is what it looks like to me. That I would say is the problem, because everything else seems to be fine. In the interim, I added a shut-off valve to temporarily solve the problem. I just turn the gas on, and wait about 10 seconds, give it a pull or two and I'm mowing. When I am finished, i just turn the gas off. Fortunately I only have to use this mower for some trimming. I will take apart again and look as close as i can at the "seat". I will keep you posted as to my progress.

Thanks,

Mac

WELCOME to LMF
You are definitely having float problems...
Here is a parts breakdown for your mower... I see it could have one of 2 different carbs... they use different needles... are you sure you have the correct needle??
Parts and Diagrams for Toro Consumer 20624, Lawnmower, 1987 (SN 7000001-7999999)
If you look inside of the float bowel you can determine what one you have...

If everything indicates you were in fact given the correct parts... look closely at the needle seat, it may have a nick or something stuck in it... post back with what you find... :smile:KennyV

Mac1963

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did order the correct re-build kit. I double checked the needle, and even went as far as putting the old needle back in. Same problem. In referring to the needle seat: Is that a pressed in "grommet"
That is what it looks like to me. That I would say is the problem, because everything else seems to be fine. In the interim, I added a shut-off valve to temporarily solve the problem. I just turn the gas on, and wait about 10 seconds, give it a pull or two and I'm mowing. When I am finished, i just turn the gas off. Fortunately I only have to use this mower for some trimming. I will take apart again and look as close as i can at the "seat". I will keep you posted as to my progress.

That is the best engine Toro every put on a mower. When you solve the problem, following the suggestions posted, your engine should outlast the alloy deck. Don't forget to check the tank and fuel lines for debris that may be causing your needle to not proper seat.