Troybilt big red 4-cycle trimmer problem

Slowride

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks, new to the forum. Thanks in advance. I've got the Troybilt Big Red trimmer with interchangeable attachments. Recently started having trouble. It wil start/idle with relative ease. Half a dozen pulls with the air intake completely closed. Problem is when I open the intake and rev it, it dies. It's 4/5years old and outside of plugs, oil and running Sea Foam thru it every now and again, haven't had it worked on. I'm pretty handy but don't know jack about engines. I'm sure this problem has been addressed dozens of times, but could you point me to some links, details? Thx, SR

possum

Threads
About five years is often the test of time for the fuel air system. Check the system one end to the other for cracked fuel lines, leaky primer bulb, loose parts, plugged fuel filter, plugged fuel cap, plugged air filter, etc. If all that is still good then more than likely have to clean the carb and put a new kit in it. Or just buy a new unit. I went through this last year on several items, all of them needed new primer bulbs and fuel lines. One item needed the carb cleaned and rebuilt. There are videos on the internet of how this is done. Not a hard job, just frustrating at times.

Slowride

Forum Newbie
Threads
How much of that can you eliminate given that it starts and idles with no problem. Also, would I find these videos on YouTube? Thx, SR

possum

Threads
You are the one that has to eliminate not me. You are the fellow stuck with troubleshooting the unit, and you are going to have to start somewhere. I had a mini cultivator last spring that would start and idle fine but fuel was leaking out the primer the whole time it was running, and it would not rev up. That primer bulb turned into fuel lines, fuel filter, gas tank cleaning, carb cleaning etc. as I was trying to fix it. You may have much better luck and I hope you do, but you are still going to have to start somewhere on the fuel system from the sounds of it.