jump start cub cadet

Tadams32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Every time I mow with my 2 year old cub cadet I have to jump start the mower. My neighbor took my battery and put his in and it started up fine. He put mine on a charger and it shows to be good. What should I check. It is under warrenty but it is to much trouble to take it in for service if I can fix it myself.
Thanks for any advise.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jump start the unit with the old battery in and then take a voltage reading at the battery. At half throttle it should read over 13.5V. If it does you know the charging system is working. If the charging system is good I would take a voltage reading of the battery after I finish cutting. It should be between 12.2-12.8V. If it is park the machine and make sure everything is off. A day later take another reading. It should be very close to the previous day. If it is not you have one of two problems. Bad battery or a bad switch which is allowing a current draw. To check the battery have the dealer do a load test on the battery. If the battery is not covered under your warranty any mechanic should be able to do the test for you. If the battery tests good under a load test, you should have your dealer do the electrical problem search, because as you say it is under warranty. Good Luck, this may take time, as all electrical problems usually do.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Take your battery after charging it to auto zone or what ever your local store is . Have them load test your battery . If its on the yellow or red scale buy another 29.00 battery .
Your battery most likely is shot and not letting your engine recharge it while cutting .
Hence it's dead every week.

Tadams32

Forum Newbie
Threads
You guys are so great to help. I checked the voltage as suggested with it running and it is 13.5 volts as it should be. I just didn't think a 2 year old mower would have a battery issue. It inly shows 38 hours of usage. Thanks again.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Batteries are cheap and we get them delivered by Interstate and there stone dead .Some have been delivered empty of acid ....
If a battery is left outdoors and it is freezing outside the battery will get killed and never charge again.
Your battery had a normal life .
In some of my machines they last one summer .