My first Zero Turn decision.

libertyman777

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm ready to buy my first ZTR mower. Not in business, just cutting at my home and perhaps an occasional neighbor's yard. I have just under 2 acres, sloped terrain in the back that leads down to a small lake. 1/2 the yard is in good shape, the other half is pretty rough. I also have a steep area behind the pool. I wore out a John Deere yard tractor in 5 years, rear end won't pull anymore.

So I've started looking around. I've got a buddy that has advised me to only look at mowers that have spindles that can be greased. That eliminates most of the "home" units. I've been looking hard at the SCAG Tiger Cat 48" with the Kawasaki engine (19 hp IIRC). But I'm not sure of the price because I can't find any online that show price. The Freedom Z is about $5500 or so. I would expect the Tiger Cat to be $1500 to $2000 more but don't know.

I'm open to suggestions for better options including warranties. The only option I'm not interested in would be a Briggs and Stratton engine. Too many folks that mow around here for a living have told me to steer clear. Kawasaki and Kohler seem to please.

Thanks,

Paul

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As this will be your first Z, take a look at all the different lines in your area. There are many good mowers out there and with this type of investment it will take a little time. Make sure your test drive each unit and grab a brochure for each. After you have everything in hand sit down at the kitchen table and compare. ( if you have a better half include them as much as possible, it will help in the long run if you know what I mean.). Narrow your list down to two, go back and test drive again and get their best price. Now make your decision. Don't go by price alone. What sure you evaluate the dealer also. I know of one dealer that sells quality machines in my area at low prices, who's service is almost worse than the big box stores. Also, check that the unit will come to you fully setup ready to go, some can be a little tough to get ready to go. Good Luck.

plateauman57

Threads
Rivets advice is excellent. I had a scag tiger cub with a 19 hp and 48 inch deck for six years and put about 120 hours a year on it. I had only a couple of minor problems during that time. I liked it so much I upgraded last week to a turf tiger with a 35 hp and 61 inch deck. I hope I have as much luck with it, but not so far. Before I cut a blade of grass I had to take it back in and they are putting a new carb on it. My point being if you can afford a scag I don't think you will regret it. Too bad, if I had known I could have made you a heck of a deal on mine and it was in excellent shape. I did a lot of research when I bought my first one and narrowed it down between scag and John Deere. I almost went with John Deere this time only because there are more service centers close, but after one last look at both I went with the scag. Good Luck with your decision.