craftsman 18 hp Twin Cylinder

David Zalonis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older craftsman riding mower the engine is 18 HP Twin cylinder. I am trying to find out how to adjust the valves on this. I have found the valves and the pistons but have not found a way to adjust them I have watched several videos on adjustments but can not find one that resembles my mower... any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What engine do you have with model number would be helpful for us to assist you.

David Zalonis

Forum Newbie
Threads
model # 422707 type 1522 01 code 9308265? missing last digit. thanks for any help you can provide.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Opposed twin cylinder for the most part do not have adjustable valves. It requires a partial engine tear down and removing material from the stems of the valves to set the clearances.

David Zalonis

Forum Newbie
Threads
No wonder I cant figure it out. So what to do now .. mower starter works well w/o spark plugs turns motor very fast . With spark plugs very hard struggle to get to turn over motor . Any adjustmets I may be able to do?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have seen more than one where the starter gets weak and won't have enough torque to spin the engine fast enough to start. Don't see much problem with valve clearances on that engine. More likely valve problems I see is valve seats coming out.

David Zalonis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the help on this, I think I am going to tinker with it for awhile.. I cant break it any more than it already is:laughing:

benski

Threads
Those need a real good battery and a starting system in good shape. Clean all of your connections, etc. You'll get 'er goin'!:biggrin: Expensive parts, so don't do anything too rash until the simple things are addressed.:wink: