XT-6 Kohler Oil out the breather

dougmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ariens mower with an XT-6 Kohler engine. After it warms up it begins blowing oil out of the breather tube, filling the air cleaner and carb with oil. The oil causes it to smoke like crazy until chokes on the oil and dies. I replaced the breather filter and valve and it did not affect the problem.

I am really disappointed in this mower. It just made it past the warranty and has been nothing but a problem. I also had to replace the carburetor to get it to run because of the corroded needle valve problem. Once I got it running, it started the blowing oil problem. It also had a head gasket changed under warranty.... I have probably mowed the grass a dozen times with it.... pretty much a total piece of crap..... :thumbdown:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like another head gasket is in order. Either the surfaces were not cleaned properly or the bolts not torqued correctly. Seen a lot of these engines lately, and they have been a good runner here. See if you can find a tech who can run a cylinder leakage test before repairing, just to make sure the gasket is the cause.

redfish9

Threads
my kohler does this now and then the valve in the breather is stuck,get a new breather

dougmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply rivets!
I tore it clear down. The head gasket did not look too bad so I'm not sure that its the problem. There was some minor scuffing on the cylinder wall opposite the push rods. It honed out easily and the ring gap was still in spec after honing. The scuffing on the skirt cleaned up with scotch bride. I am going to put it together and see what happens. If it doesn't work.... I'm off to buy a new mower...