Where to purchase Honda HRR216VKA (Big Box vs Specialty Dealer)

progus44

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Where to purchase Honda HRR216VKA (Big Box vs Specialty Dealer)
I am looking at buying a Honda HRR216VKA. I have a choice of buying it at Home Depot for about $399 or $430 at a small Honda power equipment dealer. I've been told to avoid the big box stores due to quality issues. Any truth to this? Is there any difference in what Home Depot sells and what I can get at the dealer (model numbers appear identical)?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is the same mower built at the same place by the same people. I bet your dealer will match the price and you will get better service and they will make sure every thing is set up right and show you how to take care of and use it

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Lawn Fan 2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am in the market for a new mower, too. Every dealer told me they service the mowers they sold first before the ones brought in from Home Centers. What is the quicker service time woth to you even if you pay $30 more?

I stick with the dealers. Sometimes it is a simple adjustment they will do for you on the spot.

Bob

mano

Forum Newbie
Threads
For Honda's at least, the price is the about the same at either store. Big box stores are perfectly fine, but the small dealer will assemble the mower for you and make sure it's running right with all fluids and adjustments. I don't know if they'll service big box mowers under warranty, but they usually have good service people to service the mower you bought from them.

If I hadn't gotten a killer deal on a Honda at HD, I would've definitely gone to a specialty dealer.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Stick with the dealer that will service it if needed. You buy from home junk depot you pay shipping charges to the factory if you can't find a repair shop .
My shop gets stuck with Lowes Home Depot machines that the seller can't repair EVEN for covered FACTORY free repair . See how much it costs to pallet ship a tractor .... $500.00

talley2191

Threads
One word having purchased a mower in the past from HD.....DEALER.

tuyenster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I looked around where I'm located (Fort Myers, Florida) and there isn't much to pick from. I went to Honda Motors website and looked for authorized dealer and it show me Northern Tool & Equipments as one of the dealers. I've been there before and I hardly think they can help me repair/service the mower if I ever needed it. The other been Everglades Farm Equipment Co., Inc. I have not been to this place thus I do not know if they do repair/service, but I'll call to find out. I just picked one up from HD but it still in the box. HD have your standard 3 yrs warranty plus one extended. Not sure if I made a good decision... Your two cents fi you could spare it.

Thanks,

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here are a few facts, from somebody who works for Honda (me):

All the Honda lawnmowers sold in the USA come from one place, and that's the Honda factory in Swepsonville, North Carolina.

There are no differences between models shipped to independent stores vs. those shipped to Home Depots; they are all the same.

Most independent stores offer all Honda models, but Home Depot typically only stocks the top selling ones. Home Depot can special order any Honda mower.

Home Depot and independent dealers pay the same price to Honda when buying mowers. What they actually sell them for is totally up to them.

The warranty provided with every Honda mower is valid at any authorized Honda location, including Home Depots and independent shops. It does not matter where you bought it, you can get warranty service done at any location.

When you buy from an independent dealer, they typically will have the mower fully assembled, fuel and oil added, and tested before you get it. At Home Depot, you can buy a mower still-in-the-box and get it prepped yourself (not hard, not tools required).

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

tuyenster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Robert,
Thanks for the response. there isn't much prep to be done on the mower. As far as I can see, everything is assembled except for the bag that need to be put on the mounting frame, flip the handle and lock it in place. The sales rep at HD advised me to add liquid and off you go. Change the oil after first 5 hrs of operation, and 25 hrs interval after that. Cleaned the air filter regularly and if not use for a foreseeable period, run the mower till the gas tank is emty. Which bring me to the next question, does this come with oil to get me going? I started DIY oil change on my car and have some synthetic oil left over, it is okay to use or am I just burning $$$ away?

Thanks again,
Tee

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does this come with oil to get me going? I started DIY oil change on my car and have some synthetic oil left over, it is okay to use or am I just burning $$$ away?

Yes, there is a small bottle of oil included with every mower; it's just the right amount to fill the sump, so pour the whole thing in, and check the level on the dipstick to be sure.

Any modern oil, be it petroleum or synthetic is fine, provided it's 10W-30, which is the recommended oil for 99% of mowing conditions. It's more critical to change the oil at the right interval regardless of the type of oil. Both synthetic and petroleum oils will both last the specified change interval, so why not save a few bucks and use regular petroleum oil?

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.