Repairs Ethanol in fuel can be very harmful to your lawn equipment.

johncorbin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ethanol in fuel can be very harmful to your lawn equipment.
Just picked up from repair shop blower and weedeater.
Was cautioned to be very careful to flush gas tank if storing over winter.

bollingball

Threads
Just picked up from repair shop blower and weedeater.
Was cautioned to be very careful to flush gas tank if storing over winter.

This is true with any sesonal motor that sits for a long time over a month I keep Sta-Bil and Sea foam in my motors all of the time. Used my chain saw today and it fired right up after 4 months. If I know it is going to sit awhile I pull the plug and put a tea spoon of 2 cycle oil in it pull it slow one time and put the plug back in. The ethanal seperates the water out of the air so keep the tank full with some Sta-Bil in it or drain it.
Ken

hitmanharleyk

Threads
This is true with any sesonal motor that sits for a long time over a month I keep Sta-Bil and Sea foam in my motors all of the time. Used my chain saw today and it fired right up after 4 months. If I know it is going to sit awhile I pull the plug and put a tea spoon of 2 cycle oil in it pull it slow one time and put the plug back in. The ethanal seperates the water out of the air so keep the tank full with some Sta-Bil in it or drain it.
Ken

I'd recommend using only the blue Sta-Bil, the red version isn't very good according to the small engine guys in my area.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I gave up on the red Sta-Bil years ago, it just doesn't do anything with E10 ethanol gasoline and it does have a short shelf life once the container is opened. The blue Sta-Bil does work but is pricey. I've been using a mixture of Star Tron, Sea Foam, and ValvTect Carbon Free when I refill my 5 gallon gas jugs with 89 or 91. Then for my two strokes all I do is add the oil when I refill their smaller jugs from the 5 gallon jugs. None of these additives are inexpensive and significantly increases operating costs, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the equipment running. Stihl power equipment carbs seem to be more sensitive to E10 gasoline than other makes with the same Zama carbs, I don't know why!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::smile::laughing:

Last edited:

bollingball

Threads
I gave up on the red Sta-Bil years ago, it just doesn't do anything with E10 ethanol gasoline and it does have a short shelf life once the container is opened. The blue Sta-Bil does work but is pricey. I've been using a mixture of Star Tron, Sea Foam, and ValvTect Carbon Free when I refill my 5 gallon gas jugs with 89 or 91. Then for my two strokes all I do is add the oil when I refill their smaller jugs from the 5 gallon jugs. None of these additives are inexpensive and significantly increases operating costs, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the equipment running. Stihl power equipment carbs seem to be more sensitive to E10 gasoline than other makes with the same Zama carbs, I don't know why!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::smile::laughing:

Mad I have a 78 Honda 750 Bike four carbs alot of the guys love the Star Tron I have not seen the other Sta-Bil But have not had any trouble with the red. Do you know just what the difference is? I can still get the good gas but have to drive a ways to get it. When winter rolls around I make the trip 15 miles and fill up the motors that sit with it but still treat it. Well worth the drive.

Ken

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Red Sta-Bil is not effective in E10 gasolines. The blue Sta-Bil is effective in E10 gasolines. In many states all gasolines have been blended with ethanol regardless of the octane or grade. I have no choice but to store my equipment and gasoline in a cargo trailer. The internal temperatures in this trailer get high which contributes to quicker deterioration of E10 gasolines.
Star Tron has been working fine, I use some Sea Foam also to help keep the carbs clean, and I use ValvTect Carbon Free to reduce carbon buildup in all the engines but particularly my Stihl FourMix engines. The Stihl engines are four cycle but still use mixed fuels just like any two cycle engines.
Ethanol can be very corrosive to aluminum fuel tanks and carburetors, and can soften some plastic fuel tanks, and fuel filters. Fuel hose that is supposed to be ethanol resistant has a shorter life.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: