Mower deck Manual says "engage blades at full throttle." Why?

Chosen

Threads
It seems to me that it would cause less wear and tear on the system if the blades were engaged at a lower engine speed and then bringing the engine up to full throttle.

I know that with my old lawn tractor, if I engaged the blades a a high engine speed, I'd get a chirp from the belt which I didn't get when I engaged at a lower speed (just above idle). I figure that a chirping belt is a wearing belt.

Anyway, if you have the straight skinny on this, please share!

Thanks!:smile:

okiepc

Threads
I think the way you do, they might have a good reason for that action though.

fastback

Threads
My tractor will stall if I engage at low speed. It's a 26hp Kawasaki with a 52-inch deck. If I could I also would prefer to engage at a lower engine speed.

Chosen

Threads
Thanks for your reply. When I say "lower speed", I mean the slowest speed you can engage without stalling. Lower speed does make intuitive sense, huh?

I've e-mailed Simplicity about it. When/if I hear back from them, I'll post their reply.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am sure those that have applied the common sense approach, (lowest engine speed possible), will benefit over the long run... Less problems with Belts, pulleys, bearing & bushing, idlers and the rest of the parts and pieces that do not need to be subjected to a shock load Every time they are put to use.
I don't like deliberately shortening the life span of the pieces that make my equipment function...

I'm sure manufactures find it easier to 'explain' the simplest procedure, Plus they are also in the replacement parts business so the failures in the future are not necessarily all bad for them... Especially if the customer can accept the failure as "Normal" wear & tear .... :smile:KennyV

I do understand, the short comings of newer, higher Rated horse power engines, that actually have Less lower end torque, but that is No reason to advise WOT engagement of any drive system...

HarryHarley

Threads
Plus 1 for KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It seems to me that it would cause less wear and tear on the system if the blades were engaged at a lower engine speed and then bringing the engine up to full throttle.

I know that with my old lawn tractor, if I engaged the blades a a high engine speed, I'd get a chirp from the belt which I didn't get when I engaged at a lower speed (just above idle). I figure that a chirping belt is a wearing belt.

Anyway, if you have the straight skinny on this, please share!

Thanks!:smile:

It would seem that engaging at a low idle speed would cause less wear and tear on the system but actually it doesn't. It actually uses more engine torque to engage the blades at low speed than high and it puts more stress on the PTO at low speed. Most mowers today use electric pto's that disengage and re-engage at high speed all the time that you mow so why or what would be the benefit to engage the blades at a reduced throttle setting, the only thing you'll accomplish is shortening the life span of your engine, pto and belts.
As far as the belt chirping that's probably being caused by the incorrect pulley tension, you mite want to look into a new spring for your pulleys for the pto belt.

Chosen

Threads
Thanks, guys! Obviously there is a wide range of opinions! :wink: :smile: :confused2:

If I hear from Simplicity, I'll post their reply.

Thank God that this is not an issue of eternal significance!

Be safe out there!

Chosen

Threads
I got an answer from Simplicity... "Because the belt can come off if you do it with a low throttle."

I guess that answers the question. I don't get it, but that's what they said.

Hey...I'm selling my machine. It is in perfect shape, just too much machine for me. 2007 Simplicity Citation 48". 300 gentle hours. Always stored indoors. Everything up to snuff. You can call me for more info (870) 436-3212.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why are you selling the mower? What's the reasoning behind that :confused2: