cub cadet pto

dan75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 LT 1018 cub cadet, my problem is the pto. After using the mower awhile the pto shuts off, you have to push the button in an pull it out and it will run awhile You have to keep doing this, I replaced the pto, but the new one seems to be doing the same.............should I just buy a gun an shoot the damn thing

TerryMSU

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a very similar problem with my LT1042. I have a new PTO on order. Did you ever solve your problem?

TerryMSU

I have a 2004 LT 1018 cub cadet, my problem is the pto. After using the mower awhile the pto shuts off, you have to push the button in an pull it out and it will run awhile You have to keep doing this, I replaced the pto, but the new one seems to be doing the same.............should I just buy a gun an shoot the damn thing

dan75

Forum Newbie
Threads
mine still does it..........I bought an after market PTO an that didn't work. I don't feel like spending over $300 from cub cadet, the damn cutter isn't worth that much

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the output of the alternator and the condition of the battery.
Also for the generator to keep up with the PTO's demands the engine must be free to keep up full revs.
I had a customer who was always having trouble with the PTO. He was running the negine at abut 1/2 to 2/3 throttle.

TerryMSU

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert,

My battery seems to be fully charged. 12.5 volts with motor not running and about 13.8 with the motor running. At the PTO, I get about 12.8. I set the motor at full throttle. When I initially start up if I run much faster than about 1/3 maximum ground speed the PTO comes un-engaged, and I have to cycle the PTO knob back to off and then back on to get it to re-engage. As the mower warms up, I can go up to about 1/2 full speed. Eventually, things get worse again and almost any speed will trigger the PTO to unengage again. Btw, the mower is a Cub Cadet LT1042 and is about 7 years old, although the hour meter says 200 hours. I do have the seat switches disconnected. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
TerryMSU

Check the output of the alternator and the condition of the battery.
Also for the generator to keep up with the PTO's demands the engine must be free to keep up full revs.
I had a customer who was always having trouble with the PTO. He was running the negine at abut 1/2 to 2/3 throttle.

dan75

Forum Newbie
Threads
when mine was new, there was a switch that shut the pto off when you went in reverse, I disconnected it,maybe that has something to do with it

packardv8

Threads
The PTO is replaced when the wiring is often the problem.

I first replaced the PTO switch with another OEM, which also eventually developed corrosion and high resistance and random shorts. Then, I replaced it with a simple high quality aftermarket On-Off switch. In so doing, all the lawyer wiring went away, as did many of the problems.

Then, another couple of years later, the push-on connector at the PTO developed problems. I replaced it with generic female spade lug connectors.

So far, no more problems and the same 17-year-old PTO is still there.

jack vines

GEZZERGLIDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
older cub cadet z force 44in deck. PTO wont ingage, I can operate it by jumping wires in plug of the switch, but when I plug in switch it wont work. put a new pull switch in and it ran for a while and wont come back on. thankes for any help! Gezzer