Craftsman 26 hp Kohler pro Courage

wirespider

Threads
First off, Hi to Everyone...

I have a couple year old Craftsman with a 26 hp Kohler Pro Courage. Last year I let my son, who's now old enough take over the lawn mowing, cut our yards. Even though I changed plugs, oil, filter and blades with him toward the end of mowing season last year to show how to maintenance it, I somehow forgot to tell him about draining the gas and a few other things before he put it away for the winter. Completely my fault as hes just being taught these things.

Well, he told me he wanted to start mowing so he got the tractor out of where we store it and started it. I was in the house but I could here the mower looping (surging) after he had it warmed up. Went out and stopped him and realized what a dumb ***** I was.

I drained all the gas, put fresh in with some antifreeze (for moisture) some good carb injection cleaner and still it surged. Now its only really bad (Idle go's low then high) at mid and low idle. I can hear it some on high idle but as soon as you engage the deck and the governor kicks it up another notch it clears out, so it mows great.

Last night I tore it down to the carb. I cleaned out the top jet, took off the top and sprayed it out good with carb cleaner and unscrewed the solenoid and let the bowl drain. I sprayed carb cleaner it the choke opening and let it drain out the bowl. I fired it up and it still surges.

I tried while it was running two different brands of carburetor cleaner in the carb but two half used cans of carb cleaner later still no luck.

Any ideas? Could the bowl or jets and ports be varnished so bad all that cleaner wouldn't get it? Could it be the float sticking? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm also aware of the fact that maybe something else like a coil could've went bad over the winter?

Oh, I pulled the plugs, they still look almost new. Was going to check the voltage but it would fluctuate with the idle.

Thanks ahead of time.

Wade, in PA...

Threads
Antifreeze you mean fuel stabil?..... It sounds like there is still some debris in there somewhere, or the plugs might appear to be ok but could be fouled..

wirespider

Threads

Attachments

• 7080638_gec_28201_pri_larg.jpg
    7080638_gec_28201_pri_larg.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6