John Deere LA140 motor runs but mower won't engage

FHH

Threads
you can do as i did, run wires off your pto to the battery it should click if it's good. if you lost the ground on the pto it wont work but you will have power to it. if you have a bad wire you can get 12v on a wire but not have the amps to run it.

Thanks for the tip. If I can't figure it out with the meter, I will remove the blades (probably need to be removed anyway and changed) and test it with a jumper. I appreciate the help.

Frank

bollingball

Threads
Thanks for the info and for the safety reminder. Thanks also for saving my multimeter. I will probably need to elevate the front end of the mower somewhat because access to clearly see what I'm doing with that coiil isn't available from just a level position combined with my reading glasses. Just to be prepared for the worst, I will probably call the dealer today and see how much a PTO clutch is for this model. One other thought...since i still have that old pigtail that i cut from the main wiring harness, shouldn't I be able to remove the insulation from the black wires and yellow wire and plug it into the PTO clutch and then use the muiltimeter to test it IF I can verify that old pigtail is actually still workiing? Just a thought. Thanks again!

Frank

Frank Yes if the wires are OK you can use the old pig tail. If you splice some longer wires to it you can run them to the battery and by pass everything like mentioned by rbroug.If you don't here it click then you have found your problem no need to run the motor.

Ken

FHH

Threads
Frank Yes if the wires are OK you can use the old pig tail. If you splice some longer wires to it you can run them to the battery and by pass everything like mentioned by rbroug.If you don't here it click then you have found your problem no need to run the motor.

Ken

Hi Ken,

The clutch coil did not pass the continuity test. I tried it with and without the pigtail and it didn't work either way. I didn't call the dealer to check prices but I did look online. There was even a new one on eBay for $164 plus shipping. I hope that's it...a little on the expensive side. It has rained so much here over the past few days that I won't be able to mow anyway so I will probably run the jumper test again without the pigtail just to make sure. To do that, I'm also assuming the power can/should be off?

Thanks!
Frank

FHH

Threads
Hi Ken,

The clutch coil did not pass the continuity test. I tried it with and without the pigtail and it didn't work either way. I didn't call the dealer to check prices but I did look online. There was even a new one on eBay for $164 plus shipping. I hope that's it...a little on the expensive side. It has rained so much here over the past few days that I won't be able to mow anyway so I will probably run the jumper test again without the pigtail just to make sure. To do that, I'm also assuming the power can/should be off?

Thanks!
Frank

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for all your help. I was able to purchase the PTO clutch this weekend. Just to make sure it would work I ended up taking the meter to the shop to test it before I bought it since they don't accept returns on electrical parts. I brought it home and installed it (pain in the butt...almost as bad as getting the old one off). It works perfectly. So, for the price of a service call and the clutch, I was able to get a battery, a voltage regulator, and a clutch. The wiring harness put me over what it would have cost me for the call and the clutch but that's okay because I really think the mower is good to go for a while. I appreciate your guiding me along here since I didn't know what I was doing.

Best regards,
Frank

rhino49

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere LA140 motor runs but mower won't engage
I'm having a similar problem with my L130. was cutting and blades stopped for no apparent reason. thought it was pto switch so took one
out of my 155 it worked for about 50 feet and quit again now that switch won't work in the 155. will a bad clutch cause this switch failure?