Steering Issue

chan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scotts 1642. The brass looking rod that ties my steering assembly to the steering wheal has two ball sockets. The ball under the steering wheel has popped out the socket, and I was wondering if this could be replaced, or does the whole assembly (rod and two balls) have to be replaced as a whole. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the end doesn't screw off the rod then you have to replace the entire rod assembly.

chan

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the rod is 36", there is a threaded piece about 3 inches from the steering assembly end. The ball that came out is on the opposite end. Thanks for the help.

fastback

Threads
My 96 Craftsman GT has the same setup. Since I'm cheap I welded a washer over the top to retain the ball. In can't remember what they wanted for a repacment I felt it was too expensive. Then a few years later I wanted to take as much play out of the steering as possible so I bought some ball joint ends for MSC. I bought the joint with only a hole present so I would be able to use a 3/8 bolt as a retainer. I had to cut, drill and thread the old rod, but now I have a replaceable joint that is also adjustable.

If you don't have access to a weldor or threading equipment you may just have to replace with new.