Toro 22" Recycler with leaking gas tank - free replacement

RevRick

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 22" Recycler with leaking gas tank - free replacement
emmyg: See the first post in this thread for contact info. If you have the same tank, I would imagine they will replace it. Only needed a small nut driver and a pair of pliers to replace it on my mower, but yours might be different. Here are the steps:

1. Remove the plastic engine shroud after loosening 4 captive screws (since the starter cord goes through, just move it out of the way.)
2. Pull straight up on the tank, held in place on the engine with two plastic tabs on the tank's
inside curved edge.
3. Undo the tank cap and pour any remaining gas into a clean container, then into your regular gas can (mine had some dirt in the bottom).
4. Use pliers to compress the tabs on the clamp holding the fuel line in place, move the clamp down the line past the outlet, then pull the fuel line off of the tank outlet tube (carefully so you don't disrupt the connection at the carburetor). The old tank is now free.
5. Reverse these steps to install new tank (attach fuel line and clamp, push tank onto engine, reinstall shroud).

It took longer to write the steps out than to actually swap tanks. If you're not comfortable with regular hand tools and simple household repairs, any small engine repair shop should be able to do it in no time. Good luck, and please post your results.

-rw

I also have a leaking tank that just started out of the blue. It is a Briggs and Straton engine so they will honor the change out? Do you have contact information you can share? Is it easy to replace?

Maryc0127

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2007 Toro 22" Model 20071 recycler mower. At then end of last season when I was just ready to mow a small area of lawn, I saw gas pouring out from somewhere like there was no tomorrow. Well, being the end of the season, I emptied the tank and put the mower in the barn with the idea that I would fix it this season. About a week ago I started poking around and realized that the fuel was leaking from the seam around the tank... poor design for a tank if you ask me. Anyway I searched the Internet and found several folks with the same issue. One of the guys said he contacted Certified Parts Corp, the company that took over for Tecumseh, and they replaced the tank as part of "service bulletin 506." I contacted them yesterday and they required a photo of the DOM tag (date of manufacture & model identifier) and a photo of the tank. I emailed that information and received a reply today that the tank is in the mail. It's really nice to find a company that just "does the right thing." The email address is tankshiper@gmail.com (yes, only one "p"). Don't bother contacting Toro. They won't admit to anything.

Thank you for info. I emailed them and the next day they replied with "tank sent" Awesome!

kwoodworth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all who posted here. Same exact problem as everyone else on my Toro 22" Recycler mower (leaky gas tank). Sent an email to tankshiper@gmail.com (yes 1 p in shiper and not 2 as in shipper) and got a response saying they would ship it. Sent them a pic of the serial number and my address and the tank came in 3 days. Excellent service and couldn't be happier.

Mikey2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a 2007 Toro 22 Recycler, with leaking gas tank. Went online to buy new tank and found your forum page. I contacted tankshiper, as suggested, and to my astonishment was sent a new tank (in the mail now) free of any charge. You guys know you stuff! Thanks for the good info.

azlawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still working June 2014. Ordered on Sunday received on Thursday.

some

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still working June 2014. Ordered on Sunday received on Thursday.

Still working in November 2014. Just received the tank and installed. Thank you!

PhilW

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate finding this forum and thread about the leaking tank on the 22" Toro Recycler. I first experienced the leak in early Spring 2014, and wrote it off as a sticking float in the carburetor. I was experiencing strong gasoline fumes in my garage, and they were getting into my house. I started storing the mower outdoors, until I could get around to overhauling the carburetor. I finally did that last week, and unfortunately, found the tank leaking at the seam. I immediately took to the internet and found this forum, and several other references to this problem.

I'm sending my information off today, as instructed by the OP, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should just have to take the tank to your local dealer, with your engine numbers, and they should be able to get you your tank.

JobeSmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still working.

Sent pictures of tank and DOM info and home address to tankshiper@gmail.com (that's one P) Sunday, and received a new tank 8 days later. When I sent the email, I received an immediate automatic response that the tank would be shipped in 2-10 days, but no other emails or shipping notifications came afterward. Also, save your old cap as my tank came without one. Also note, the tank I received looks exactly like the old one, with the same seam that gave us all the trouble. I considered giving it a once over with epoxy, but instead installed it. I think I'll just press my luck and apply epoxy as soon as another leak occurs.

Good luck,

JobeSmith

---------------------------------------------------------
-Mind over mower Dr. Angelo, not a miracle - a fact.

sakthia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still working!!

I sent an email with the few pictures, model number and serial number (2007) and they responded to me asking my home address. When i responded with my home address, within a day i received the tank..

Please make sure to include the pic, model number, serial number and home address so that they can send it.

Thank you very much for the great information.