looking to but Troy-Bilt riding mower. front or rear engine?

Which ~$1,000 mower?

• Troy-Bilt 11.5-HP Shift-On-The-Go 30" Riding Lawn Mower (rear engine)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mower1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / looking to but Troy-Bilt riding mower. front or rear engine?
Hello mower fans,

I can't decide on what lawn mower to buy. I have narrowed it down to x2 riding lawn mowers that are both about $1,000 and I would like to hear peoples recommendations.

Troy-Bilt 11.5-HP Shift-On-The-Go 30" Riding Lawn Mower
http://www.lowes.com/pd_372094-270-13AC26JD011_4294747190_4294937087_?productId=3606258
Specs:
- Rear engine
- 11.5 hp
- 30" cut

Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Shift-on-the-Go 42" Riding Lawn Mower
http://www.lowes.com/pd_288803-270-13WN77KS011_4294747190_4294937087_?productId=3278599
Specs:
- Front engine
- 17.5 hp
- 42" cut

Is it just me, or is the front engine one better. It has a bigger cut (faster mowing although my lot is < 1/4 acre) and more hp (able to tow things around and plow snow). But the rear engine is smaller in size (so storing is easier). I would think the front engine would come out ahead, but the guy at Lowes told me that they had already sold 3 (out of 6) in stock rear engine ones.

So please let me know any pros/cons or just general advice you may have.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

hitmanharleyk

Threads
The front engine one is a much better unit but you will be much happier down the road if you bought a mower from a local dealer instead of the big box store.

mower1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The front engine one is a much better unit but you will be much happier down the road if you bought a mower from a local dealer instead of the big box store.

Thanks for the quick reply hitmanharleyk!

So is there any reason to buy the rear engine mower? Maybe if it was cheaper, or is it really only for really small backyards with lots of turns? Is any one easier or more fun to use, or is it basically the front engine one is just better as long as storage isn't a concern?

Also, what's the reason to look to purchase from a local dealer? Do they handle warranty or repairs better?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

hitmanharleyk

Threads
The tractor style (front engine) is more than likely a re-branded product like a MTD, must folks have had decent luck with those just as I had back in the day. I'm a guy, bigger engine and wider cut is always better in my book.

Dealership over big box store all day long. The price will be the same and they'll in return work on your mower sooner since you got it from them instead of the big giant store down the road who is trying to put them out of business. If it is a warranty issue they will help you instead of fight you, they need the "word of mouth" reputation where the big stores could care less. Plus you are keeping the money spent in your town where it will turn over 7 times, a big store sends it to a corporate office off who knows where.

Don't take this the wrong way but you are looking at buying a $1000 riding mower, don't get your hopes up to much and expect to much. You will be getting what you paid for.

Lawnmowerman2

Threads
read the reviews of troy bilt lawn tractors.. before you buy.. the pony is the worst model on the market

mower1

Forum Newbie
Threads
So if I'm going for a tractor, then what about a Poulan 38" or 42"... are they any better?

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Get the front engine - rear engine shakes itself to death . Cracked mufflers and all the body bolts back off ... Rear engine actually gets dirtier and overheats if you don't keep the block shinny silver so it can air cool .