Honda HT R 3009 fuel system Schematic/diagram

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given a honda ht r 3009 riding mower. There is a small hose from the carb to a part called the gas catcher. When I open the valve to allow fuel to the carb it goes through to this part, wich is mounted on the frame close to the carb. there is a nipple for another hose on it, but no hose. Also, there is a hole in the bottom of the gas catcher. I don't Know what this part is for or how it should be hooked up.The mower tries to start if I prime the carb, but dies in a couple of seconds. I have not tried to start the mower with the fuel shutoff valve open because the gas runs out on the ground.If I open the fuel shut off valve, the gas starts draining through the gas catcher. I have not been able to find a diagram that shows how to connect this.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
First, can you confirm it has a genuine Honda engine on the rider? The description of the tubes and such don't really match up with what I'm seeing in the shop manual.

Next, how about sharing the frame serial number? There are two versions of the shop manual depending on which one you have. The frame serial number is on the frame and starts with the letters MA1T-5xxxxxx to MA1T-51xxxxx.

If you think you'll be doing more work on this rider, you may wish to buy a paper shop manual; it can go a long way to help get the rider in good running shape again. Here's a link to buy one direct from Honda via their eBay store:
Honda HT-R 3009 3811 Riding Mower Service Repair Manual 6175101 | eBay

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was given a honda ht r 3009 riding mower. There is a small hose from the carb to a part called the gas catcher. When I open the valve to allow fuel to the carb it goes through to this part, wich is mounted on the frame close to the carb. there is a nipple for another hose on it, but no hose. Also, there is a hole in the bottom of the gas catcher. I don't Know what this part is for or how it should be hooked up.The mower tries to start if I prime the carb, but dies in a couple of seconds. I have not tried to start the mower with the fuel shutoff valve open because the gas runs out on the ground.If I open the fuel shut off valve, the gas starts draining through the gas catcher. I have not been able to find a diagram that shows how to connect this.

The serial # is MA1T 5010440. Here are pictures of the motor and the part I am asking about. One is connected to the carb where it was when I got it.

Attachments

• 100_0244.jpg
    100_0244.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_0245.jpg
    100_0245.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_0246.jpg
    100_0246.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_0247.jpg
    100_0247.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 69

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The "catch tank" is there to capture fuel that can be released from the carb bowl when the mower is operated at certain bank angles.The hose in your photo is where excess fuel can flow out of the carb into the catch tank. The other fitting appears to be a vent to the tank, where excess fuel collected into the tank can evaporate. I guess the tank has a charcoal element or other filter to reduce evaporative emissions from the excess fuel.

Where is the fuel leaking from exactly? If the carb has some problems, it may be diverting excess fuel to the catch tank.

We have a 25+ year engineer who knows these old riders quite well; he's out today, but I will see him in the morning and get more details. Stand by.

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for trying to help. I figured out the purpose of the catch tank and why it has a hole in the bottom. It holds a small amount of gas and aloows it to evaporate. If there is to much gas going to this it over flows and goes on the ground. I got it running already.:smile: I think the the float was stuck. It is no longer leaking out the gas. I also had to bypass the safety switch in the seat while I was working on it so it could start. I had to prime the carb the first couple of times, and it was running rough for about 20 or 30 minutes, but it finally smoothed out. I think I need to set the idle a little a little higher. I cut my yard and the neighbors with it, but I had the throttle set to high or all the way to choke to run it fast enough to cut the grass. I also sharpened the blades. The steering is hard to turn. Do you have any suggestions to make it easier to turn the wheel? Again, thanks. I have put this site on my favorites. I spent alot of time searching the web trying to find out about that gas catcher. The only answer I found came from you, and I checked a lot of websites. I work for myself remodeling and as a handyman. I try to be every thing to my customers. I am very handy and I also have 27 years of experience in construction. I look online often to find solutions to any thing that I am not familiar with so that I can be the person they call first about anything. If I can do it myself, I will. I also have a chain saw I need to work on. I am going to look for a forum like this one. This is alot easier than searching the web for an answer.:thumbsup:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kevin, with a rider that old, I'd suspect some rust or other issue is causing some binding somewhere, just a guess. Here are a couple of pages from the shop manual that show the steering and front axle, and also the one page with the grass catcher.

Parts may be a problem with older models like this. A few Honda dealers specialize in having old riding equipment parts if needed. One that comes to mind is Plano Power Equipment; here's a link:

Plano Power Equipment Online Store - Honda Riding Mower and Tractor Common Parts

Best of luck with it; please just ask if you have any more questions. -Robert@Honda

Attachments

• steering & front axle.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 51
  • grass catcher kit.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 24

okm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower as Kevin Paul. Can't get it to start or even hear a clicking noise. I checked battery spark wires ect I'ts got gas and oil. I did notice an open tube right behind the gas tank / not the long tube that hangs from the tank/ It looks like it should hook to something.

Help!! tried everything I love this mower

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the mower running. It ran a little rough at first, and smoothef out as I used it for about an hour or more. It probably still had some trash I did'nt get cleaned out. I took the carb off and cleaned it with gas, an old toothbrush, and compressed air, but I did'nt take it apart. I may if I don't get it to start without putting a little gas in through top of the breather first. I just loosen the nut, put a little gas on top of the filter and let it follow the threaded rod into the throttle. It starts fine that way, but I should'nt have to do anything but use the ignition. The ignition switch is'nt working right, either. The on & off positions work, but the switch does'nt work for the starter.I have a bypass wire from the starter to she battery. I turn the ignition to on and touch the wire to the battery post to start it.I have'nt had time to look at that to fix it, yet.If anyone has a suggestion or an explaination to my problem starting the mower without priming the carb, please let me know. I can also be reached at 214-546-3299. I have a handy man and remodel business in the Dallas area.

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower was running better and better the more I used it. Then the gas started to run through the carburetor into the catch tank.. I suspected the float was stuck open. The gas would leak until the tank was empty, or use the shutoff valve. Here are pictures of the carb. Can someone tell me what the problem is?:laughing:

kevin paul

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cleaned out the carburetor and put it back together. They don't sell a kit for this. The parts are sold individually, which is ok for a Honda because I probably won't have to buy them again for a long time. Honda makes excellent products that out last most of their competitors. They are expensive. The float needle was $30.00 I think. I took a chance and used the old one and it worked. The gas leak is fixed. Now, I need to get it adjusted. It runs very smoothly now, and I don't have to prime it to start it, but it dies under a load. If I drive into thick grass(not tall), it bogs down and dies. I messed with 2 screws on the carb and made it worse. Can someone tell me how to set the air fuel mix and idle speed. I need a starting point. I.e. turn clockwise all the way, then back 1 1/4 turn.

Also, I uploaded the photos that were for my last post and this one. THe cry for help in the last one was just sarcasm.

Attachments

• 100_0290.jpg
    100_0290.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0294.jpg
    100_0294.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0293.jpg
    100_0293.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0292.jpg
    100_0292.jpg