Compression

bwestbrook

Threads
I have air being forced out of the dipstick tube when I turn the engine by hand. It does the same when I try with the key. It acts like it has too much compression but I made sure valves were adjusted already. I can't check compression with my gauge because it won't spin enough.
Model 31P777 0348E1 040426ZD

briggs

Threads
your crank case vent could be blocked or not working properly....:smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are turning the engine with the dipstick out you will get air being forced out of the engine when you turn the engine. It is caused by the piston displacing the air in the crankcase when it move down the cylinder bore. If the valves are adjusted properly then I would say that the compression release on the camshaft is broke and will required pulling the engine and replacing the camshaft.

Currently doing that on the exact model that you have right now in the shop. The flyweight broke and was laying in the sump when the engine oil pan was removed.

bwestbrook

Threads
Thats what it seems to me too. But that is with the dipstick in. It hisses really loud when you try to crank the engine. Never had one do that before. Way too much compression and being forced out at the weakest point I guess.

bwestbrook

Threads
How would you rule out everything to verify tearing into the engine. I have fixed those before but that was when I worked at a shop. I would diagnose and then the boss would verify. I guess I am just second guessing myself.

bwestbrook

Threads
I had a guy tell me it was a bad starter cable. Because the solenoid was testing good and the starter was testing good but the voltage would drop when I connected to cable to the starter. But could that be because the compression is so high that the ignition system is trying too hard?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be blown head gasket between the cylinder and push rod cavity. that could also cause the excessive crankcase pressure.

bwestbrook

Threads
So I definitely need to do a leak down test?

Last edited:

bwestbrook

Threads
How do y'all do your leakdown test. I know how to do one but I don't have the test kit. Just wondering some of the ways people have come up with.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with IL bad head gasket. To do a cylinder leakage test I high recommend you borrow or get the proper tester.