Gas in Oil?

Amadauss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, older craftsman riding mower 12 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. Went to change oil after sitting over the winter and when I removed the oil plug, the oil poured out almost looking like dark water. Smelled like gas. Can gas get into the oil somewhere? And if so, where would be the places to check? Thanks very much for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Needle valve in carb is leaking. Gas will get into an open intake valve and seep past the rings or in some carbs can also run into the engine breather hose into the crankcase. Need to take carb apart and clean real well.

Amadauss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for help. Will take the carb apart and give it a cleaning. When apart, anything I should replace when there?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Best thing to do is just get a repair kit and give it a good cleaning, and hope that gets it. some carbs have a replaceable seat which requires pulling it out and pressing the new on in, but other then that you be straight forward.

Amadauss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't thank you enough for the help. The mower is my father's, he is 97 years old and still wants to live in his house and not a home. I promised him he could stay. Little did I know the issues that would come up i.e. the grass cutter. Do all the work on my own cars (extensive) so should not be that difficult. Just did not know tractors so thus the questions. Really appreciate the response. Will take some pics as I go and post for someone else that might need the help. Going to work on it this weekend.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

wheelerjb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll second the in-line gas valve. Part of my normal routine is to turn the valve off and run the gas out before I put it away. It's good piece of mind for me.

greggn

Threads
Also use non- oxygenated / non ethanol fuel. The new E10 blend causes carb problems.

Threads
As usual ILENGINE has your problem solved...:thumbsup:

You can also Get one of these... : inline fuel shut off | eBay
Put it in the fuel line and you will not have any problems, unless you forget to turn it on or off ...

Your carb cleaning will be easy but if you want a good visual see this site: Small Engine, Lawn Mower, Snowthrower Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety Scroll down to Briggs & Stratton when you spot your carb select it and it will step you right through it... :smile:KennyV

:thumbsup:.... Good advice Kenny....:biggrin:..

benski

Threads
It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway; change the oil after you get your carb rebuilt and working properly.:wink::biggrin: