Gas in Oil?

DaveTN

Threads
A float needle leaking and letting gas fill up an engine could on some mowers leak out onto the floor. Should for example you have a gas water heater, the ~~~fumes~~~ could and possibly would drift over to the pilot light on the heater and KA-BOOM!! Instant fire, which is what happened to a neighbor up the road from me. He was out mowing and came in to refuel the riding mower in his basement. He was fueling it when the fumes hit the pilot light. The Instant explosion caused a conflagration that burned the house to the ground in a matter of minutes. He didn't think to turn off the gas supply and the natural gas only made it worse! So be careful about not refueling engines, or storing gasoline in the basement of your house!!

benski

Threads
A float needle leaking and letting gas fill up an engine could on some mowers leak out onto the floor. Should for example you have a gas water heater, the ~~~fumes~~~ could and possibly would drift over to the pilot light on the heater and KA-BOOM!! Instant fire, which is what happened to a neighbor up the road from me. He was out mowing and came in to refuel the riding mower in his basement. He was fueling it when the fumes hit the pilot light. The Instant explosion caused a conflagration that burned the house to the ground in a matter of minutes. He didn't think to turn off the gas supply and the natural gas only made it worse! So be careful about not refueling engines, or storing gasoline in the basement of your house!!

Crikey!:eek: Having electric utilities up here, I hadn't thought about that, but it could obviously have BIG ramifications. I do let my outdoor equipment cool off for a bit before I refuel, and I do my refueling outdoors.

DaveTN

Threads
Crikey!:eek: Having electric utilities up here, I hadn't thought about that, but it could obviously have BIG ramifications. I do let my outdoor equipment cool off for a bit before I refuel, and I do my refueling outdoors.

My neighbor probably got by with refueling an engine in the basement many times until that one time when the fumes ignited. Even an electric motor starting up could ignite the ~~~~fumes~~~~ doesn't take just a gas pilot light or open flame to do it. Something electrical switching off and on would be all it takes!