I have a 1999 craftsman LT1000

mchewson

Forum Newbie
Threads
The blade mandrels are worn to the point where the blades can't seat in the star for mounting. We can't figure out how to remove the mandrels. Can anyone help us?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need to take the nut off of the pulley take pulley off and the shaft will come out the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the Craftsman Forum. :smile:

YardMonkey

Threads
I have changed both mandrels on my Craftsman. One broke when I ran over something and it bent the blade and messed up the bearing in the mandrel. The other just failed. Both were the type that did not need to be greased as they were sealed.

I would recommend purchasing the complete mandrel, remove the old one. I would also get the type you can add grease to periodically. I am not a lawn mower mechanic but try to do my own work when it is simple.

You need to remove the deck...makes it easier. Be careful when you order from Sears, they screwed up my order twice. I brought the old mandrel to a lawn mower shop and they fixed me up.

I would figure it took me about an hour, including getting the deck off an back on. Mandrels were about $50 each. One of the sealed ones I got from Sears, paid $50 for went bad after about 8 hours mowing, that is when I went to ones you can grease.

The reason I tell you to bring your old one with you is because some have 3 bolts and some have 4.

Just my 2 cents worth...

mchewson

Forum Newbie
Threads
[

When we tried to remove blades the nut turned but would not come off. That's when we removed deck and realized the nut above pulley was turning. We held that stationary and the blade nuts came off. Once the blades were off we attempted to remove nut above pulley but the mandrel turned with it. We put bolt back in mandrel to give us a means to hold mandrel to remove nut but no luck. Did you have this problem?

QUOTE=YardMonkey;55974]I have changed both mandrels on my Craftsman. One broke when I ran over something and it bent the blade and messed up the bearing in the mandrel. The other just failed. Both were the type that did not need to be greased as they were sealed.

I would recommend purchasing the complete mandrel, remove the old one. I would also get the type you can add grease to periodically. I am not a lawn mower mechanic but try to do my own work when it is simple.

You need to remove the deck...makes it easier. Be careful when you order from Sears, they screwed up my order twice. I brought the old mandrel to a lawn mower shop and they fixed me up.

I would figure it took me about an hour, including getting the deck off an back on. Mandrels were about $50 each. One of the sealed ones I got from Sears, paid $50 for went bad after about 8 hours mowing, that is when I went to ones you can grease.

The reason I tell you to bring your old one with you is because some have 3 bolts and some have 4.

Just my 2 cents worth...[/QUOTE]

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
mchewson said:
[

When we tried to remove blades the nut turned but would not come off. That's when we removed deck and realized the nut above pulley was turning. We held that stationary and the blade nuts came off. Once the blades were off we attempted to remove nut above pulley but the mandrel turned with it. We put bolt back in mandrel to give us a means to hold mandrel to remove nut but no luck. Did you have this problem?

QUOTE=YardMonkey;55974]I have changed both mandrels on my Craftsman. One broke when I ran over something and it bent the blade and messed up the bearing in the mandrel. The other just failed. Both were the type that did not need to be greased as they were sealed.

Just my 2 cents worth...
[/QUOTE]

Ok put a pipe wrench on the end the blades go on your going to replace it so it does not matter if you mess up the star

Sent from my iPhone using LMF