LawnBoy 10323 recoil spring

dadda11o

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi! I was able to open the recoil assembly after locating instructions for that part, but the assembly is still inside the hood/shroud. I finally realized though that I should be able to manipulate the spring through the limited access I now have. Is there an "easy" way to check whether the spring has just become dislodged or do I need to remove and reinstall it? Any help appreciated ... thanks!

Oops, I realized too that this is "intro" so here goes ... I am fairly handy with repairs and enjoy "making" rather than "fixing", would rather do the preventative maintenance than deal with the disaster that occurs when that is neglected. But I get a lot of satisfaction out of figuring out and repairing things that would otherwise cost me a lot of money to do. As a woman, I also like it when I can help someone else with a problem. Trying to pass on some of what I learned to my daughters ... and sometimes, their boyfriends (like keeping an eye on the fluid levels of their car and checking for blown fuses). I've been able to repair my new freezer (out of warranty but too new to need costly repairs!!), my car, plumbing and electrical things around the house, and a few things on the LawnBoy, which is actually a pretty good mower. I find it relaxing to mow the major part of our acre with it when it's working right and look forward to getting it back into top-notch shape!

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You should be able to do this but we need more info. What is the serial number? When we know this we will be able to help.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the Lawn Boy Forum. :smile:

dadda11o

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi; I was in the process of moving it and for some reason, got sidetracked ... so thanks! And it is a 2002; serial 22000... but will post that "over there" in the correct section!

dadda11o

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I will just remove a rivet as I now have loosened the spring. There is a black cap that was under a white plastic wedge clip that looks as if should be removable; I am just not aware of how the removal is supposed to happen. Maybe once I have it open I can figure it out and post for someone else's benefit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I have not gotten back to you, had something's that needed attention. Is this an old reel mower? If yes, then this is going to be a little more difficult and I would recommend you take the should (cover with the recoil in) to a repair shop. It will be hard to explain in this forum. Sorry, Rivets

dadda11o

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a 2 cycle; Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp engine. I am going to try to post a picture in a bit. The problem with the mower is that the pulley reel (term?) is enclosed within the shroud or cover. Technically, the replacement involves replacing the whole unit; which to me is sort of stupid, especially when the spring has maybe just come loose, which at the moment APPEARS to be the case. I found a video or two showing how to put in a new spring, etc. It is just a very awkward procedure the way this unit is enclosed; there are 4 rivets holding it on. I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of removing a rivet, but can deal with that a lot better than being forced to shell out extra $$ for no good reason!! I still think the black "cap" (metal) comes off, but it would be awkward to explain it. So I will try to post a few pix. I know I can't be the only person and would bet there's a solution already posted; just trying to search it out is almost as hard or harder than just taking the assembly apart!

Last edited:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This won't help solve your problem, but I'm almost positive that the engine on the 10323 is NOT made by Briggs & Stratton.

Be careful when working with the spring on a starter. Wear eye protection.

dadda11o

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are correct; Duraforce engine ... Been looking at too many videos & all seem to feature Briggs and Stratton, so I guess it is stuck in my mind. I wen to the site (lawnboy.com) found the engine manual; the rivets do need to be drilled out.

dadda11o

Forum Newbie
Threads
And of course, drilling out rivets not easy.