Buying Advice New Pioneer or used Lazer?

gsines

Threads
For many years I've been mowing with my hydrostatic Ford 1220 with a 60" 914 mid-mount deck, and I'm now looking to speed up my mowing time by procuring a zero turn, which I have absolutely no experience operating. So I'm looking for buying advice.

Where I come from, at least 4 out of every 5 zero turns I see on lawn care company trailers are Lazers, so I've been looking most closely at Exmarks. In my rural location, there are very few commercial zero turn dealers; the closest reputable Exmark dealer being an hour's drive away. I probably only mow 3-4 acres on a weekly basis, but must mow 15+ acres at least a few times a year to keep it from getting away from me. Much of that acreage is/was a Christmas tree farm, so the manueverablility of a ZT will come in handy, and the hazards of old stumps and irregular terrain cause me to lean toward the commercial ZT category moreso than the residential.

I can't afford the $10K for a new Lazer (or comparable competitor) so the dealer has recommended the Pioneer S-series as an affordable alternative that he believes will be robust enough for my application. I test-drove both briefly at the dealer, but novice ZT pilot that I am, I didn't feel competent enough to really put them through their paces. The Pioneer certainly felt adequate for my needs, but the Lazer was obviously a beefier machine. For example, although both models had cooling fans on their pumps, the Lazer's pumps dwarfed the Pioneer's. So I'm wondering if I should look for a used Lazer instead, the dilemma being how many hours are too many hours and how does one really know how hard those hours are? The dealer says never ever buy used from a lawn care company because they are renown for abusing their equipment, but I haven't had any luck finding a privately owned Lazer (or comparable competitor like Ferris or Scag) with less than 1000 hours that wasn't used commercially. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

You have noticed all the important things... Larger pumps are a Big Plus...
Your biggest problem will be the tree stumps. I would spend the money you will be spending on new spindles, Instead spend it on removing the stumps... Either grind them off or use a large tractor with a loader & a stump/tree bucket.

Your mower choices will be tough. I like the used market but it sounds as if you do not have much to choose from... For your mowing get the Most mower you can afford, justify,... Especially for that 15 acres that you will be mowing only once a month or so... that is going to be Very hard on any mower... good luck, and post back with what you get .... :smile:KennyV

gsines

Threads
Thanks for the reply, Kenny. I've read a number of your posts and value your advice.

After giving it more thought, I decided not to rush into the new Pioneer purchase, and spend more time looking for a used Lazer with low hours or another comparable competitor. I've read good things about Ferris and Scag, but also wondered if I should consider brands like Bobcat, Hustler & Bad Boy. What are your thoughts on those brands, and should I add any others to my search? Choosing a brand by the nearest reputable dealer doesn't help me much since there are no commercial ZT dealers within an hour of me that I know of.

Used options I'm considering at the moment are a 60" 2005 Lazer XP w/27HP Dihatsu diesel with 187 hrs for $6500, or a 61" 2008 Bobcat Procat w/25HP Kawi with 215 hrs for $5500. I like the diesel because of the reliability I've experienced with my Ford, but not sure if it would be worth an extra grand to me. I'd need to drive 3+ hours to look at either mower so I need to make my decision up front. Both mowers could sell before I get a chance to look at them, but I figured the question was worth posing anyway. Thanks again for your feedback.

gsines

Threads
Latebreaking update: the Bobcat guy just emailed to let me know his rock bottom price is $5000, so now $1500 separates the two mower choices. I suspect there's more than just the gas versus diesel issue to consider, but I'm having trouble gathering all the data to compare the specifications for the two mowers. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would be hard pressed to think of any reason I would go for a gasoline engine Over a diesel...
so I'm not the one to ask between the two...

If I were in your spot, I would tell the guy with the diesel rig about the 3 hour trip just to look at his mower... Would he give you his solid bottom $ price .. And if it entices you to go look, it may be worth it. :smile:KennyV

gsines

Threads
Re: Lazer XP or Ferris IS3000Z?

The rock bottom price on the Lazer diesel is $6500 (down from $7200 asking), and I've now ruled out the Bobcat Procat.

But to further complicate my decision, after spending much of the weekend on my Ford tractor absorbing the humps and bumps on my property, and doing more online research, I'm seriously considering limiting my search to a Ferris IS3000 because of the independent suspension that I've not found offered by any other manufacturers.

I'm not so much worried about my comfort level. After all, I've read good things about the suspension seat on the Exmark. I am, however, very concerned about traction on irregular terrain, which is a good description of my property. Not any steep hills to speak of, but lots of high and low spots that I can envision getting one drive wheel up in the air with a rigid frame mower. It's never been an issue with my Ford because of the independent front axle, foot pedal engaged posi-traction, and 4-wheel drive if I really get hung up. But I hate the thought of maybe having to get off my ZT to push myself off a hump who knows how many times over the course of mowing my property. Is this a legitimate concern? And if so, would the Ferris suspension prevent or at least minimize such hang-ups? Thoughts, anyone?

gsines

Threads
Well, just wanted to let everyone know that I went for the Lazer XP. I couldn't lay off the diesel. Looking forward to using it, but not sure when. We had nearly a foot of snow today in far western Maryland. Thanks to all for the advice.