Mower deck How often do you clean the deck

ProLikeJesus

Threads
How often do you clean under and above the mower deck? And why do you clean it?

GaryLee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I try to always blow the whole mower down with compressed air after every use, including under the deck. Packed grass cuttings trap moisture which breeds rust and pops paint.

ProLikeJesus

Threads
I try to always blow the whole mower down with compressed air after every use, including under the deck. Packed grass cuttings trap moisture which breeds rust and pops paint.

ah ok. So, besides rust, the grass underneath the deck does not effect the performance in any way? Like it doesn't keep the grass from circulating through the mower?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not clean the under side of the deck in over 40 years I have never had a deck rust out. I do blow the top of the deck off after every yard. If your getting so much grass stuck under the deck that it change how it cuts then just get a mower that is better for your needs

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

jimrs

Threads
In the summer months I have never had that much of a problem except on top the deck. In the spring I have yet to see it dry enough to not stick to the underside of the deck. On the new Toro I have found lots of grass trapped and stuck to the deck as I mulch and the grass is full of water, I guess. I use the water hose attachment built on the deck and wash it out. I need to check my old JD and Honda to see if they also have an accumulation of stuck grass and get them cleaned up before they rust out. Forgot the original question I clean it after each use NOW.

Browndog67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just stop out in the yard before you park and use your leaf blower to clean it off.....you can even knock the dust off the air filter if you have the newer semi-exposed type filter. I do not like to park a dirty mower......

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I feel it's better not to clean it at all then to spray it down with a water hose then put it in the shed or storage building

rimidalvr1966

Forum Newbie
Threads
I feel it's better not to clean it at all then to spray it down with a water hose then put it in the shed or storage building

Is it safe to spray cold water over and around a hot engine?

Threads
I used to clean the underside of my HRR after every single mow. If the grass was even slightly wet it would make a high-pitched sound and you would look under it, and there would be like 5 pounds of wet grass stuck to the deck. Luckily, with my HRX, I never have to clean it, because the grass JUST DOESN'T STICK! Even when it is wet. I love it!!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I generally clean my decks weekly, just use the mojack, lift and use a plastic scraper then the air hose.