Mower deck How often do you clean the deck

ththomasjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a lawn boy that's over 25 years old. I've always sprayed this mower with a hose.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a lawn boy that's over 25 years old. I've always sprayed this mower with a hose.

Generally, there's nothing wrong with that but if you are'nt making sure it has dried before storing it you are fortunate that you don't have any rust problems on the deck or frame. Some mower owner manuals(like my 2006 Craftsman/Husqvarna) discouraged cleaning with water and my new Gravely warns against spraying the Hydrogear hydrostatic drive trannies befrore they have time to cool(probably to avoid cracking the aluminum housing). But I've always said..." a clean mower is a happy mower"(and generally will last you longer:0)

twinfords

Threads
i usually air hose my mowers down after every use, i will wash it occasionally and air dry it also. The poor design of some mowers makes you have to blow them off after every use. i have recieved lots of mowers so caked up with grasss they would not start, engage etc. several the shoot was so clogged with grass it would not cut as well.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
i usually air hose my mowers down after every use, i will wash it occasionally and air dry it also. The poor design of some mowers makes you have to blow them off after every use. i have recieved lots of mowers so caked up with grasss they would not start, engage etc. several the shoot was so clogged with grass it would not cut as well.

twinfords,
That's a spot on assessment of the need for this type of maintenance!! Besides that, there's nothing like caked up grass & dirt under a deck to mess up a good pto electric clutch or throw a belt:0(

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
ProLikeJesus,

I see there being two potential "problems" from accumulated grass/dirt/etc. under a mower deck. The first has been eluded to and that is trapped moisture causing rust and other deck material damage. The second(from my experience) is enough accumulated buildup that it "restricts" the ability of the blades to turn freely after hardening between mowings and when you go to mow again and engage the PTO.....ooooops there went my drive belt(if the blade won't turn.......something's gotta give:0)
In my last two lawn tractors(most recently a Craftsman 54"...made by Husqvarna) the stamped deck design and the blade tip speed allowed quite a bit of accumulation under the deck and after throwing one belt I began spraying underneath the deck with a garden hose each time I mowed to remove most of the large clumps to avoid that happening again.
You may notice some of the recent models of residential lawn tractors(and some ZTR's) have that hose-attachment dooie that allows you to attach a garden hose, turn it on, engage the blades and wash the deck out. My Craftsman didn't have that and I thought I wanted that on my next mower. What I discovered when shopping for a ZTR, though, was that a good quality ZTR(especially the Commercial units) don't suffer as much buildup due to (a)the deck design, particularly the fabricated decks with baffles underneath and (b)the blade tip speeds of around 18,000 fpm(there is so much turbulence and clipping ejection the stuff just can't "stick to" the deck)!!! I have mowed my yard 4 times with my new Gravely Pro-Turn 52" Commercial ZTR since buying it(this weekend after a rain the previous day) and upon inspecting under the deck each time about all I see is a "green stain" on the deck and spindles and very little if any grass stuck to the deck surface underneath(making me a VERY happy post-mowing cleanup guy)!!! I, like user Ric have purchased a MoJack and I will probably clean under my deck like he has recommended occaissionally(every 5 or 6 mowings).
I've also heard and had some advice about spraying underneath a new mower's deck with PAM cooking oil spay and every few mowings but I can't recommend that from experience. I actually tried a product called ZEPLON when I first bought the Craftsman lawn tractor(a "hard drying" form of silicone) but it didn't help a bit. Personally, I don't understand why some mower manufacturer hasn't come up with a mower deck that has a "teflon coating" underneath it.....as they would sell like hotcakes:0)

I've been watching this thread and I've heard all the remedies for grass build up, spray this, spray that and I don't believe that they have anything that can keep a deck clean.
Some one said just mow when it's dry and you should have a problem and for some that may work but what about the guys that get up in the morning and have to be mowing at 7:30 am everyday and everything is wet? The guys that have too mow in the rain.
Seriously I should clean my decks daily and I'll bet I can remove five lbs of grass a day. Now if you want to cut your build up two things you can try is do not mulch, do not use things like Gator blades because the finer the grass is cut the more problems you have with grass build up. Oh and bagging doesn't really help the situation either.

Threads
I've been watching this thread and I've heard all the remedies for grass build up, spray this, spray that and I don't believe that they have anything that can keep a deck clean.
Some one said just mow when it's dry and you should have a problem and for some that may work but what about the guys that get up in the morning and have to be mowing at 7:30 am everyday and everything is wet? The guys that have too mow in the rain.
Seriously I should clean my decks daily and I'll bet I can remove five lbs of grass a day. Now if you want to cut your build up two things you can try is do not mulch, do not use things like Gator blades because the finer the grass is cut the more problems you have with grass build up. Oh and bagging doesn't really help the situation either.

I use my HRR on my own lawn and even in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day it clogs. You can tell because the mower sounds more high-pitched. It gets SOOOO clogged SOOOO easily! My neighbor was mowing and I don't think he ever cleans the mower (he has a Toro 21in.). I swear I thought he was using a 2-cycle blower, but I look outside, and he was mowing....that is how bad the mower sounds because it is so clogged with grass!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, even the repair technician at the Gravely dealer told me..."spray underneath the deck with PAM, it really works". I'm pretty sure my next door neighbor tried that for a while on his Ariens 1648 ZTR and eventually abandoned the idea(I'll ask him if he still does it, but my money is on him saying no). I still think one of the major ZTR players should figure out a way to put a teflon surface on the underside of their decks. That would have to work.....wouldn't it????? I think when I suggested that to someone they replied that the metal surface of a frying pan/etc. had to be heated to some ungodly temperature(like 1500 degrees fahrenheit) to bond teflon to the metal surface and it just wasn't feasible with a large mower deck. But a few decades ago one would say...."man on the moon, electric cars.....RIGHT":0)
P.S.
When I think about it, the tire industry has the technology and rubber compounds now to make an automobile/truck tire with a tread that would last 500,000 miles...but what would that do to their profit margin and I'd bet the mower industry has some ideas for a deck that wouldn't ever clog and would last a lifetime...but the deck is usually the first thing to "wear out" and how would that affect their sales????