Walk behind Mower leaks gas after use

drtim12760

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens walk behind with a Kohler XT 6 engine. It starts easy and runs well but after I stop gas leaks out in the area of the carburetor. I have cleaned the fuel bowl and seat with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. I also replaced the bowl gasket and float needle, yet it still leaks after use.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The needle valve seat has a small burr on it and will need to replace the carb to fix. May try using a little valve lapping compound on a q tip first and see if that will fix it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a fine carbide grit paste used to lap valves into the seats on engines. Used alot before electric valve grinders. Should be able to get a small tube at any auto parts store. Just be sure to wash it out real well after using to prevent further leaking problems.

mowerguy

Threads
take the float out and hold under water. see if there are any air bubbles. float could have a pin hole in it

d0eb0y

Forum Newbie
Threads
what a coincidence!!!
I have the same mower as he does and have been having the same problem. leaking gas.
And as mowerguy mentioned, i did take the carb apart and voila,,,the float was filled with gas.

it doesnt happen constantly...i believe it is a very slow process,,,but this is the 3rd time now that ive gone to mow and have had no gas,,,and i know there should be gas in there,,,,but the float filled and the valve stayed open and all the gas leaked out....now,,,my question is this....

Is there a way to fix the float or do i need a new one? I cannot seem to be able to just find the float alone online...well none that i am not sure will fit...please help,,,i need my mower to work and i can DIY if i can just find the part or someting to coat the float with so it wont leak,,,,(or fill with gas for that matter)
thank you!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a hot clue gun melt some clue on the hole or crack let it cool and trim any extra off

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

kbell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with my Toro 6.75.
I have replaced the carburetor, and the primer button, but it still leaks after I finish mowing?

earthworm

Threads
I have the same problem with my Toro 6.75.
I have replaced the carburetor, and the primer button, but it still leaks after I finish mowing?
The "new" carb may have junk-yard quality.
Use the compound and some bluing ink....and a magnifying glass ?
If the N & S are good....damned cheap carbs....one cannot replace the seat...
Assure that the fuel filter is correct...one does NOT want too much pressure (or too little) against the N & S.
The one on the old garden tractor leaks; a shut-off valve remedied this.
If possible, I'd use the needle as a tool to lap in the seat......just an idea.....

oldyellr

Threads
If it's a standard brass soldered float, you can fix it. Put it in boiling water and see where the bubbles come out. When the bubbles stop, pull it out and dry it off and solder the leak. Repeat to make sure it doesn't leak anymore. Or, you could spend the time and money to buy a new float, especially if it's plastic.