scag problems

john.findley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag turf tiger and having a couple of problems with it. 1st it will be running great and all of a sudden it starts choking down or acting like its running out of gas, but there's plenty of gas. If you let it sit for 15 minutes, it will run all day and never miss a beat for several cuts then start all over again. 2nd problem is the 20 amp fuse that runs the pto is blowing up. When you put another fuse in and try to crank it, it blows and ive put several fuses and they blow, and i will finally get it cranked with blowing one, to get it back on my trailor. People have told me its the pto clutch going bad or its the switch going bad. Any help and thank you for your time.

xX_Menace_Xx

Threads
sounds like the solution for both issues is a crossed wire or bad ground which will cause both symptoms.

Darney

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag turf tiger and having a couple of problems with it. 1st it will be running great and all of a sudden it starts choking down or acting like its running out of gas, but there's plenty of gas. If you let it sit for 15 minutes, it will run all day and never miss a beat for several cuts then start all over again. 2nd problem is the 20 amp fuse that runs the pto is blowing up. When you put another fuse in and try to crank it, it blows and ive put several fuses and they blow, and i will finally get it cranked with blowing one, to get it back on my trailor. People have told me its the pto clutch going bad or its the switch going bad. Any help and thank you for your time.

I would check the voltage regulator before spending the $$ on a PTO.

OzRanga

Threads
Quite common to blow the diode which is in the wiring to the electric clutch. Check it with a multimeter to ensure current is only flowing one way through the diode (a diode is basically a one way valve for electricity)
That causes fuses to blow due to feedback to earth

The running issue, check the gas tank caps are venting correctly

MCharlieDavis

Forum Newbie
Threads
After approx. an hour, my scag fuse blows, I replace it. After I replace fuse, I get 20 minutes and it blows again. The running time gets less and less after subsequent fuse replacements. I cleaned the grounds and the battery terminals, I replaced the fuse holder. The other fuse holder gets hot, but that fuse does not blow. What can I do to address this problem???

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Darney

Forum Newbie
Threads
After approx. an hour, my scag fuse blows, I replace it. After I replace fuse, I get 20 minutes and it blows again. The running time gets less and less after subsequent fuse replacements. I cleaned the grounds and the battery terminals, I replaced the fuse holder. The other fuse holder gets hot, but that fuse does not blow. What can I do to address this problem???

Thanks for any help you can provide.

There's a good chance it's the electric clutch on the mower deck that's blowing your fuse. Had to put in a new one in mine as it kept melting the fuses, then blowing them!