all wheel drive push mower???

Threads
ok guys im considering the idea of building a all wheel drive self propelled push mower. some may say what the hell for, i say why the hell not. just toying with the idea and wanna see if anyone has done one before. my father mows a rutted up bank and is always having a hard time so maybe this can be done??????

Tommy

Threads
idea of building a all wheel drive self propelled push mower.
harleyman959798
because most self propelled mowers have fixed axle none drive wheel, converting to
a drive setup would be more involved then increasing the traction of the current drive
wheels, could be better for your lawn also, aerating while you mow

Tommy

dogon1013

Threads
easiest way to accomplish this is to remove the 2 non-driven wheels from a self propelled.....Instant "ALL wheel drive" :biggrin:

Now if you want a 4-wheel drive mower...that is a little trickier. Simplest would probably to attach sprockets on the outside of the wheels and then chain link the drive wheels to the non-drive wheels.

xp14629

Threads
It would be possible to add the front wheel drive from some toro mowers to a rear wheel drive unit. The hardest thing would be to fab the pulleys to run two belts for each transmission. Otherwise, cut each deck down the center side to side and weld the sections together with the trannies still installed.

Threads
It would be possible to add the front wheel drive from some toro mowers to a rear wheel drive unit. The hardest thing would be to fab the pulleys to run two belts for each transmission. Otherwise, cut each deck down the center side to side and weld the sections together with the trannies still installed.

thought of the deck cuttin but probably would make the deck weak, and or warp during welding.

pulleys wouldnt be a problem as most engines or briggs anyway, are double woodruff keyed so i think 2 pulleys would be fine, just still kickin ideas around

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How in the world are you planning to turn the unit??????

Snapperfreak

Threads
I have no idea but I sure want to see it when it's done!!!!