Repairs Gas dripping from air filter. CD pack needed. Short block?

Gene123

Threads
  • / Gas dripping from air filter. CD pack needed. Short block?
Hello friends. I'm new to the forum and hoping someone might be able to help with three things.
1. I just acquired a model 5247 (1980) from an old buddy who passed away. It hasn't run in years, but I've got it humming again. It's got the F100 engine and "late" model carburetor. Problem: Gas is dripping from the foam air filter when it's running, and I don't know why. I cleaned the carb. The float level seems correct, and the needle and seat seem to work properly. Can someone please tell me what might be causing the problem and how to fix it?
Question #2. My faithful old model 5241 (1973, D600 engine) is becoming hard to start. I suspect the cd pack (often called the coil, I think) is going out. I see no spark or a faint orange spark when I hold the plug against the head and pull the rope. Does anyone know where I can get a good coil for a D600?
Question #3. Is it possible to find a new D600 or F100 short block?
Thanks.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Gas dripping from air filter. CD pack needed. Short block?
Hello friends. I'm new to the forum and hoping someone might be able to help with three things.
1. I just acquired a model 5247 (1980) from an old buddy who passed away. It hasn't run in years, but I've got it humming again. It's got the F100 engine and "late" model carburetor. Problem: Gas is dripping from the foam air filter when it's running, and I don't know why. I cleaned the carb. The float level seems correct, and the needle and seat seem to work properly. Can someone please tell me what might be causing the problem and how to fix it?
Question #2. My faithful old model 5241 (1973, D600 engine) is becoming hard to start. I suspect the cd pack (often called the coil, I think) is going out. I see no spark or a faint orange spark when I hold the plug against the head and pull the rope. Does anyone know where I can get a good coil for a D600?
Question #3. Is it possible to find a new D600 or F100 short block?
Thanks.

#1 -- I suspect the float. Are you sure that you've ruled out overflow caused by the float valve not shutting off?

#2 -- I'd look for an old mower selling really cheap and containing many good parts. That's my preferred way to get relatively expensive parts like a coil. If you don't want to go that route, try eBay.

#3 -- Something like a new short block would be very expensive and a good used one can probably be found -- that's the way I have done it. I might add that most of the old mowers that I find are in pretty good shape in terms of compression, main bearings, etc.

Good luck. :biggrin: