Parking brake problem with Tiger Cub

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
Been hauling my Tiger Cub around in my cargo trailer and it turns to the right which puts the collection blower tight against the trailer interior and chaffes. Not a serious problem but with the dethatcher mounted on the front it bangs against the stuff that I have forward in my trailer.
I checked out the brakes today and for the second time found the left hand brake band way out of adjustment. Actually it is bent and I can no longer get a correct adjustment on it, so I'm going to replace it soon. I would mount a block of wood or something to lock in the left front caster wheel but it would be in my way when I get the wood chipper out and just another thing to trip on and in my way when I trailer my GT.
The brake band wraps around the drum and tightens around it when the parking brake is on. Same thing on the right hand side.
What I forgot to do last fall was to leave the parking brake off for the winter while in storage.
Anyway I'm going to replace the left hand brake band, I don't want the machine moving around in the trailer.:mad::frown:
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never had much luck with relying on brakes alone to keep any wheeled equipment stationary while in transport... Ratchet straps or chain & boom as the stuff gets bigger... :smile:KennyV

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi KennyV and group,
As long as I'm fairly gentle while towing and the Tiger Cub brakes are in adjustment it will stay put. I have a telescopic metal tube that connects to hangers mounted on the walls of my trailer that I bring the machines up to and strap them to when I make long distance or nasty trips, but inconvenient for short hauls. The left hand brake band looks like it wasn't shaped correctly when manufacturered and has lost more of its ability to hold on the brake drum. It is the same P/N as the right side which has retained its normal shape and holds OK. I'm just going to replace it and be done with it, a fairly easy job.
When I used an open trailer I had a 2" trailer ball mounted on the front of both of my GTs and a hitch on a hinge forward and a hitch on a hinged bracket bolted to the deck that I swung up and connected to the second GT. This system worked great but leaving my equipment outside on an open trailer when my garage was occupied didn't set well with me so I bought a 7X14 cargo trailer with extra height and a ramp and sold the open trailer to another lawn guy, I still see it now and then and he is still in the business.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: