Simple wiring for yard-man with kohler cv22s.

shere-kahn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I'm new to the forums and saw a post similar to mine. I just got a used mtd yard-man with a kohler cv22s engine. The previous owner was having problems with the wiring and had friends of theirs rig it but I want to put a push- button start on it. There are so many wires that I want to eliminate but don't know what they do. Anybody have a diagram that would show a simple wire setup for this engine using a toggle switch and a push button start? Let me know if there is any other information needed. Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't know of any diagrams of the type you are requesting. If you are not careful you could have some real safety issue. If you are trying to bypass all the safety switches and just go with a solenoid and voltage regulator it is not that hard to do. Do you have any experience with normal tractor wiring?

shere-kahn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't have much experience with tractor wiring but my nephew does and he looked at all the wiring and switches and was stumped. He didn't know what some of the wires did. I finally found the service manual for the motor with wiring diagrams but I still have a hard time understanding what the wires do.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Basically you will have two, three, or four wires on the engine. Let's see if you have and can find the following. First you will have the battery charge wire. Probably red, connected to the voltage regulator. The regulator is mounted on the engine and will have three wires on it. Two white AC charge wires and the red battery charge wire. This wire will be connected to the battery direct or to the terminal on the solenoid which goes to the battery. Second you will have a engine shut off wire. It will be coming out from under the shroud. This wire is used to shut off the engine. It will go to the magneto (M) terminal on the key switch. Third you may or may not have a wire hooked to the bottom of the carb. This is the fuel solenoid shut off. If you have this wire it will also go to the (M) terminal on the key switch. If you have a fourth wire please tell me where it is coming from. Wire colors may be different depending on the age of the engine. You have just asked about the engine wiring. What about the solenoid, lights and starter? Also, please take a look at your safety switches, I am a little worried about removing them from the circuit. If you take your time they are not hard to hook up if you have not disconnected them.

shere-kahn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, my nephew came back over and installed a push button starter which works but when the motor starts it shuts right back off. As for the wires I see the three wires on the regulator, two white and a black. They all go under the shroud, according to the engine service manual it's supposed to be violet. The wire harness that comes out on the other side of the engine there is a violet. I see where someone cut that wire and hooked it up to the solenoid terminal that the thick wire from the battery is. Also another problem I have is the positive battery wire is getting so hot that it actually melted the battery terminal.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have hooked up the start circuit correctly. You now must hook up a run or magneto circuit which I talk about earlier, which will include the magneto wire and the fuel solenoid. Look at my earlier post. The voltage regulator circuit is also hooked io correctly. Post if you need some help telling me what wire you have left coming from the engine. I may not get back to you right away, due tothe holiday.

shere-kahn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok got the mower running. Off the engine there is a white wire, a blue and a red that goes to the same terminal in the connector, a green wire, and a violet wire. I know the white wire is the engine kill. The green wire is for oil pressure switch. The violet goes to the regulator. The blue goes to a tab on the starter solenoid. On the mower side of the connector the engine kill wire plugs into two yellow wires. One yellow goes to a relay. The other yellow my nephew hooked up to a toggle switch which should be grounded. The green doesn't have a wire to plug into which I think is kinda weird. The violet has two red wires. One red goes to the same relay, the other red I connected a new fuse plug and then put on the positive terminal on the battery. ( I put a 25 amp fuse in it. Couldn't remember what was originally in it so let me know if that too much). The blue and the red wires went to an orange wire which went to the clutch pedal switch. My nephew cut that orange wire and ran a new wire to a push button switch on the dash. There's also another wire that connects to the same terminal on the starter solenoid as the battery cable, he hooked that wire up to the other terminal on the push button. It starts and runs now but can't figure out the throttle on the Carb. The way the cable was hooked up you could raise the throttle but if you lowered the throttle it would only spin one bracket, not the one that is connected to the throttle on the Carb. Kinda hard to explain.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I have not gotten back to you, had something's that needed attention. Is it possible for you to post pictures of the areas and wires? If the engine starts and then shuts off when you release the push button, this means that you have the kill wire hooked up and grounded. Let's solve this problem first.

shere-kahn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for replying so late, I've been pretty busy myself. I have to say thank you very much. You helped me quite a bit. I finally got my tractor starting and running like new. Instead of doing a simple wire set up I pretty much just replaced bad wires and put in a push button start. With a few adjustments it'll mow my yard once again. Again, thank you for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Didn't expect to hear from you for a while. Just assumed you were taking your time and doing it right. Doesn't feel good when an electrical job comes together? I have been doing this for forty plus years and when I finish a job like you did, it really feels good. Congatulations on a job well done, but now you have to take your nephew and better half out for dinner. (I know she thinks you spent too much time on that old unit)