Chain saw rating

Homesteader

Threads
I need to buy a chain saw for this winter season. I don't really know the difference in quality and performance; I just see the difference in price. Husqarvana, Honda, etc. For the money, which is better. This includes the cost to maintain.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
What one is better is awful general..
What one is the best value will depend on how much wood you will be cutting.

An $800= chainsaw will be a LOT better than a $100 saw ... but if you are only cutting a few ricks per season, your best value in the long run could be the least expensive...
If you are going to really work at cutting wood you will be better buying the more pricey hardware for the job...
Most all replacement bars and chains are standard and will fit several diferant makes... the engines are becoming more dependable,
...so depending on the number of annual hours you will be running it ...

173abn

Threads
Homesteader,I agree with Kenny.I personally use a Sthil.I've bought other brands,usually cheaper ones that didn't hold up but I cut alot of wood.One of my brothers uses an electric job but he only cuts the occasional limb.you get what you pay for. russ

Bethieboo

Threads
I agree, you have to take in to account how much you are cutting. Chainsaws are similar to cars, they both have millage. You also would not take a gas economy car off roading. The type of wood and amount of wood you cut have to be in the formula.

Stopper

Threads
As far as maintaining a chainsaw goes I have always felt that the best brand for that is Honda. I really feel that Honda products end up needing fewer repairs and tend to last a long time.

rekees

Threads
I need to buy a chain saw for this winter season. I don't really know the difference in quality and performance; I just see the difference in price. Husqarvana, Honda, etc. For the money, which is better. This includes the cost to maintain.

The cost to maintain is going to be about the same regardless of brand. Really not much to maintain except for chains, bars and spark plugs. Stihl is the best selling chainsaw in the world and there's a reason for that. Take a look at their MS290 Farm Boss. It has all the power you will need and it will last for decades. It's priced under $400.

Will_C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't agree more with the thought you get what you pay for. At around the $400 price point, you can buy a good quality Stihl or Husky saw. Other good brands are Jonsered and Dolmar, but they may be harder to find.

Will

kelly5

Threads
According to Consumer Reports magazine the two best (at least in the $100-$150) range are the Poulan Pro model PP3516AVX or the Craftsman model 34118.

Green Girl

Threads
We heat our home with a woodstove, and we cut our own firewood----we live on 40 acres of forest land. The brand of choice for me, by far, is Husqvarna. It's comparable in price to Stihl, but it's been absolutely trouble free---I can't say that about Stihl.

pebbles

Threads
I've had problems with Stihl saws over the years, the chains keep breaking or slipping off a real nightmare especially when cutting in winter, what is the best brand on the market?