Repairs Craftsman ride front engine mower/blades don't engage

Tom Fitzgerald

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman ride front engine mower/blades don't engage
The lever to engage the cutting blade (lift up and into a notch on dash board) does not engage the blade. Was cutting some heavy brush when it stopped cutting. How can I fix this? - Thanks-Tom

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either broke the engagement cable or the deck belt.

Tom Fitzgerald

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either broke the engagement cable or the deck belt.
Thanks for your reply-I will check those items

I see you are a B&S Tech- I have a Bachtold Champion brush mower Mod#8200 (older unit)
Original engine= Briggs & Stratton Model#196422; Type1163E1 (Note: My web search for this Mod number gave replies that engine could NOT be identified)
engine threw a rod- looking for replacement engine - Briggs & Stratton 8hp, pull start,
horizontal 1" shaf
t-can you suggest a replacement engine by model number?
Any help appreciated-Thanks-Tom

yardman19

Forum Newbie
Threads
The lever to engage the cutting blade (lift up and into a notch on dash board) does not engage the blade. Was cutting some heavy brush when it stopped cutting. How can I fix this? - Thanks-Tom

If the belt is adjusted too loose the blade will not engage.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for your reply-I will check those items

I see you are a B&S Tech- I have a Bachtold Champion brush mower Mod#8200 (older unit)
Original engine= Briggs & Stratton Model#196422; Type1163E1 (Note: My web search for this Mod number gave replies that engine could NOT be identified)
engine threw a rod- looking for replacement engine - Briggs & Stratton 8hp, pull start,
horizontal 1" shaf
t-can you suggest a replacement engine by model number?
Any help appreciated-Thanks-Tom

I think the correct model number that you are looking for is a 196432-1163-E1. The recommended briggs replacement is a 20S232-0063, then remove the 715101 crankshaft and replace it with a 715396 crankshaft. Dealers change out crankshafts from time to time on engine refits.

shacko

Forum Newbie
Threads

Since you didn't give the model no. I will have to guess.

Some of the Craftsman mowers with a deck similar to what you have? have retracting springs on the deck and if they are broke you can't get the lever control to work right, if this is true you have to replace the springs, luck.:smile: