Snapper R Engine Rider Wheels Locked Up

RonBiffle

Forum Newbie
Threads
While mowing yesterday, my rear-engne 33 Snapper mower stopped moving. Motor running OK....Rear wheels are locked up. To get mower back to shed I had to pick up rear wheel with a pair of hand trucks and lub it up hill while the wife steered the front end. No way I can roll it up ramps into pickup truck to carry to repair shop. Any ideas about how to free rear wheels???
Thanks for any help!
Ron

lm002

Threads
If this is an older clutch driven snapper it is probably the gear box/differential located underneath the engine. If it is a snapper like I'm thinking of you should be able to flip the mower vertical onto the back bumper and look at it there. If you open up the casing there is probably a broken/jammed gear.
Hope this helps.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Pull off the rear wheel and pull out the metal key way on the rear axle so the rim can rotate .. put the wheel back on and roll it to where ever it is going to get fixed. Put the key back in when it is road test time .

RonBiffle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply. That is exactly the information I needed. When I stood the mower up to examine the differential and disc area and to add some grease, I now believe that a gear or some part of the differential has broken. The lower grease plug will not remain in the housing. When feeling inside, I can touch a jagged metal piece rather than the smooth round side of the gear which I should be able to touch. This piece of metal will not allow the grease plug to set down into the hole properly. Your information should allow me to get the mower loaded up and taken to someone who has much more knowledge of how to repair it than I do!
Thanks,
Ron