How Hard To Change Pulley and Drive Belt

YardMonkey

Threads
On a Craftsman lawn tractor. It is a 42" cut.
Assuming I have to drop the deck, how hard would this
be to change out say on a scale of 1 to 10
with 1 easy for an idiot and 10 difficult for an experienced mechanic? :ashamed:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
with 1 easy for an idiot and 10 difficult for an experienced mechanic? :ashamed:

That is going to determine by that you have for tools, skills, equipment, and place to work??

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt is easy I would say a 3. What pulley are you wanting to change? The one on the rear end would be about a 5 the one on the engine would be a 1

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt is easy I would say a 3. What pulley are you wanting to change? The one on the rear end would be about a 5 the one on the engine would be a 1

Get into the real world. Without tools and skills it is all a 10 and with its a 1or 2. I have some people that come into my shop that changing oil is a number 10.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not that hard to look online or pick up a book and if you can read you can do it I bet there is a pic of how the belt goes on on the mower some where. He was smart enough to come on here and ask for help so I think he has a wrench and a pair of pliers. And every one has the skill just some don't take the time or don't have the time to look up how to do things

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not that hard to look online or pick up a book and if you can read you can do it I bet there is a pic of how the belt goes on on the mower some where. He was smart enough to come on here and ask for help so I think he has a wrench and a pair of pliers. And every one has the skill just some don't take the time or don't have the time to look up how to do things

I personally don't know the person so it is very hard to say one way or the other. No not everyone has the skills just because you do. I have been doing this work for the last 60 years and I don't know about you but I have seen it more then once when someone has made a big mess not knowing what they were doing. One of the worse things is when they start wiring and changing switches. I don't have to look very far in my home because I think my wife could mow the lawn with a flat tire and not know anything is wrong.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston said:
I personally don't know the person so it is very hard to say one way or the other. No not everyone has the skills just because you do. I have been doing this work for the last 60 years and I don't know about you but I have seen it more then once when someone has made a big mess not knowing what they were doing. One of the worse things is when they start wiring and changing switches. I don't have to look very far in my home because I think my wife could mow the lawn with a flat tire and not know anything is wrong.

My wife would also mow with a flat tire. I won't work on any ones mower for them I learned to fix my own so I don't have to take them to a shop I don't mind paying the price you all charge but I just can't wait a week or two to get my mower back a lot of times I am 2 hrs from
Home and have to fix things where I am at. Now I guess your right most things are a ten for most people. I can take four mowers all different models and build one and it's a 1 for me now when it comes to getting a small engine to run right I'll give it a 10. So maybe I spoke to soon My wife says that my biggest fault is I think if I can do it than every one can do it

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can get it up at a convenient working height it makes it much easier. It's been awhile but I don't recall having to remove the deck on this one.

I've not changed a drive belt on a craftsman but on the one pictured there is a procedure to follow in the manual and without knowing that one step it could drive a person insane. Find the owner's manual if you can as it often has instructions for the homeowner to follow so it must not be a 10 on the difficulty scale. Take pictures if possible to follow on assembly.

Attachments

• murray up 10-9-07.jpg
    murray up 10-9-07.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
Threads
since we speak of wife challenges! mine is from Philippines. when she got here, unable to drive, I began teaching on the mower. OMG, she ran over the house, shop, electric service pole,etc,etc:laughing:

the dogs would look at me, like are you crazy:confused2: the leave for the entire time the mower was running:laughing: as time passed she mastered the mower:thumbsup:

now the art of driving an F250 is going about the same:cool: she wants a small car, needs a Sherman Tank:mad:

oh to the Op, research before you begin, If you have tools and think you can,carry it somewhere!!
It is not too hard...

YardMonkey

Threads
I would say that i am probably more mechanically inclined than most. i have been able to change the deck belt and a couple of mandrels. Have a floor jack and will be working on the garage floor. Got basic ratchet and socket sets, screw drivers, channel locks, vise grips, etc. So I guess with what I read from above post is...I don't know because answers ranged from 1 - 10 so I guess I will assume about a 5.
I think I can do that...50/50 chance of success :licking::licking::licking::licking: