Briggs & Stratton starting problem

ebf

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having trouble with a 27hp B&S v twin. first attempts to start motor this year have not worked. the engine has run once for about 5 min before it ran out of gas, now it will only run for 30 seconds and only if the cylinders have been aired out and the plugs are dry or new. after each of these almost starts I pull the plugs and gas literally drips out of the plug. i know it's getting gas and for at least a moment, fire.

thanks for the help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like the float is stuck open and the fuel pump is overfilling the carb causing excessive fuel to flood the engine. Need to remove the carb and clean.

ebf

Forum Newbie
Threads
i'm on it. thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Until the symptoms of gasoline flooding the plugs/cylinders are corrected I'd be keeping a close eye on crankcase oil level too. Gasoline diluted oil usually doesn't lube very well and has toasted many engines.

ebf

Forum Newbie
Threads
so I can't get the bowl off the carb as the screws are impossible to move. any secrets before i get my easy-out on it?

thanks
E

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a Nikki carb. I usually have to break the bowl screws loose with a pair of locking pliers the first time otherwise you will strip the phillips heads out

ebf

Forum Newbie
Threads
it seems that a torx head would be a better fit. thanks