Tires Using narrower rear tires on a Poulan Pro riding mower

GeauxCajuns

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Using narrower rear tires on a Poulan Pro riding mower
I was recently given a used Poulan Pro 42" cut riding mower because apparently they felt sorry me cutting a 1/2 acre with a snapper push mower. Anyway, the stock rear tires are 20 x 10 x 8 and are both severely dry rotten and have a hard time holding air for more than a few days. New Carlisle tires in this size are about $75 each. Recently I visited my local Lowe's and saw that they have replacement tire and rim sets in 20 x 8 x 8 for $52. I checked to make sure the axle size and length was compatable and it is. So does anyone see any drawback in going with the narrower tires in the rear other than a little more pressure on the turf?

-Matt

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Probably the most critical dimension is the height; not just the number on the sidewall, but the actual height carrying the load, which you should be able to tweak with tire pressure. A different height could affect the mower blade angle and performance.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just went out to my shop and put a tape around both and the hight will be the same

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Height

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

oldyellr

Threads
You could always put tubes in them to get a few more years out of the tires. Once the sidewalls crack open and the tubes bulge out, it's time for new tires. :laughing: