How to replace drive belt (not deck belt) on Cub Cadet i1046?

barsenault

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to replace drive belt (not deck belt) on Cub Cadet i1046?
Looking for how-to instructions/tips on replacing drive belt.

My immediate challenge is removing the PTO clutch & pulley. Not sure how to stop the assembly from turning in order to loosen the bolt?

Anyone have a service manual on this model to share?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bobb_cars

Forum Newbie
Threads
you can remove the cover over the flywheel and use a socket on the flywheel nut have a helper hold the wrench, make sure you have the wires unpluged from the clutch so when it comes free you dont rip them out

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking for how-to instructions/tips on replacing drive belt.

My immediate challenge is removing the PTO clutch & pulley. Not sure how to stop the assembly from turning in order to loosen the bolt?

Anyone have a service manual on this model to share?

Thanks!
Long before air or electric impacts were on the market we got the neighbor kid to hold the wrench on the bolt for a dime while we impacted the wrench end with a 2x4 of appropriate length for the task at hand.

Now that kids won't work for any reasonable amount of money, I've resorted to shimming the wrench on the bolt head with cereal box top cardboard when necessary and then impacting the wrench end with that old favorite 2x4. It hasn't failed me in 50 years.

My next venture into the unknown is trying duct tape around the bolt head for shim material when cereal box tops are at a premium.

barsenault

Forum Newbie
Threads
you can remove the cover over the flywheel and use a socket on the flywheel nut have a helper hold the wrench, make sure you have the wires unpluged from the clutch so when it comes free you dont rip them out

Thanks for this tip. I was actually thinking to do this but did not want to cause damage. Sounds like a plan. Unplug wires first... check.

barsenault

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long before air or electric impacts were on the market we got the neighbor kid to hold the wrench on the bolt for a dime while we impacted the wrench end with a 2x4 of appropriate length for the task at hand.

Now that kids won't work for any reasonable amount of money, I've resorted to shimming the wrench on the bolt head with cereal box top cardboard when necessary and then impacting the wrench end with that old favorite 2x4. It hasn't failed me in 50 years.

My next venture into the unknown is trying duct tape around the bolt head for shim material when cereal box tops are at a premium.

You are correct about the kids not working... I also have a favorite 2x4 and have certainly used my fair share of duct tape... never thought of the cereal box top though. Normally I shim with whatever happens to be nearby that fits the bill!

alancadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
My problem is not the clutch. It is the belt itself. Mine broke, so I have to replace it. After the clutch is off, I am having trouble getting the belt around the engine pulley. There are tabs of the frame that turns down right beside the pulley and there is not enough clearance to get the belt between the pulley and parts of the frame (tabs) that are turned down. I can not get the pulley off of the engine shaft and can not get the belt between pulley and the frame. Is there a secret to getting the belt back onto the pulley?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

There are several things you will have to remove to get the new belt on...
Take your time, take pictures Before you remove things, Don't look for short cuts, like bending or forcing things...
You will get it, & be better equipped to service your mower in the future... :smile:KennyV

bobb_cars

Forum Newbie
Threads
have a helper near by unbolt the motor from the frame lift the motor out and allow the crank shaft to rest on the frame just infrount of the hole have the belt in place but dont have it around the trans pulley you will need the slack to have some of the belt pulled up and out of the hole, now carfully pick up the motor and have your helper put the belt around the pulley on the motor and pull the belt from under the trator while you postion the motor back in place.. it may take a couple trys but you can get it

MYTMERLIN

Threads
I NEED HELP IN REPLACING THE TWO SMALL BELTS ON THE FRONT OF MY MOWER IT IS A HDS 3185 , ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why do people insist tacking a different problem onto the end of an old closed thread.
So do yourself a favour and click the little green button of the left that says "post new thread"
Name the thread " 3185 PTO belt replacement "
And please do not type in capital letters, it makes your post harder to read and is considered shouting.
The full service manual is available from Cub Cadet as a free download.