A Lot To Choose From

mowstang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,new guy here in the process of trying to find a mower thats right for me.I see a lot of people here lean toward no box store.Well in my little area,we only have 1 store that services what they sell and that is Kabelin's True Value.They do have a mower that seems to top my interests.
Below are mowers I am looking at,trying to stay at or below 3k.I mow about an acre and a half that is pretty much just a field,pretty flat and a couple trees.
My original mower before moving here was a 1985 Wheel Horse witth a Kohler motor.I kept that and pushed it to the side. Bought a Husky MTD Supreme LT 46" deck.I have had that for 9 years with no problems til last week.Seems the valve guide slipped out and bent the pushrods.I would guess it has maybe 240 hours on the mower.That doesn't seem like a lot.Of course the old trusty WheelHorse fired right up but it just doesn't have to power to mow what I need done.I don't want to sink any money into the MTD for a new head and don't feel like doing it myself,So that means new mower time.I've read so many reviews my head is swimming,looking for some advice from the pros.
Here are the Models I am looking at,I am not neccesarily locked into having to have a zero turn,although I would be the cool kid on the block!:laughing:

2 Non Zero Turns...

John Deere D170 54" deck 26 HP This cost as much as the zero turns I have been looking at but it is a JD,a better tractor than a zero turn? $2800
Cub Cadet LTX1050 24 HP Twin Kohler Courage 50" Deck $2k

3 Zero Turns...

Husqvarna RZ5426 (54") Kohler Courage 26-HP V-Twin Hydrostatic 54" This is the most expensive zero turn I looked at $3200(well besides a JD ZT for $4k)
Cub Cadet RTZ50 KW 23 HP Kawasaki V-Twin OHV engine $2,999 Also seen same one with a steering wheel for 200 dollars more.
The one I was most interested in and I really don't know why,maybe because Toro seems like a good brand like JD and it is the Kabelins mower,with the service dept
Toro TimeCutter SS5000 50 in. 22-HP Kawasaki V-Twin OHV $3k

I know these aren't the hard hitting commercial grade machines but I don't have a hard hitting hilly lawn that takes hours to mow either.I have read of problems with both the Courage line motors and the Kawi motors.But hey my cheap little MTD lasted 9 years,I don't think that's so bad.I won't be using the mower to pull trailers ar stumps,plowing or anything else.I just want a dependable mower to mow my grass.
Any advice on the models I am looking at would really be appreciated,Thanks!

Parkmower

Threads
Go ZT if all your doing is mowing. You'll be amazed at how fast your done.
Once you go ZT you never go back.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Recommend a Z also. Have a lot of landscapers in our are which are very happy with the Toro.

mowstang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advie,looks like it will be a ZT then.OUt of the 3 you think the Toro is the best?I like the Toro too but that 54" deck on the Husqvarna just keeps saying "Hey!":biggrin:

Parkmower

Threads
I have a cub rzt and it does it's job. I also run a professional Husqvarna ZT and love it. Also have alot of time with toro products with no major complaints.

My gut is saying Husqvarna.

mowstang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to the couple people here that offered some advice,was hoping for more input but I ended up going with the Husqvarna. RZ5426.Checking a lot of consumer reviews,it seems to be a mid grade mower with a lot of positive reviews.
I'll post back after I have used it for awhile for anyone else that might be interested in my little non commercial mower